GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few pics from a nikasil motor intake manifold, pcv plate and throttle

Default A few pics from a nikasil motor intake manifold, pcv plate and throttle

body gasket replacement... It didn't help the idle any either..another bad nikasil motor..

Default A few mo pics

Default and a few more

Default Last 3

Default forgot the pic of the valves , nice and clean stems

Cool pics Bill. Do you pretty much have to go through the exercise of replacing the gaskets before determining the motor is bad?...or did the customer just want a bandaid?
    Cheers,
    George

Hi George,
    He already had a leakdown test and compression test and the block was
    bad by allowable bmw standards, I haven't seen the test results , i'm just going by what he told me. But this customer also searches the internet regularly and was going by what he had read on numerous sites about intake manifold an pcv plates causing the problem (basically he's living in denial) I told him that this probably wouldn't help or very little if any but he wanted it done anyway, so who am i to turn down his money? As you may have been able to tell its a 740il and off idle it accelerates and runs fine but the idle has a definite miss to it thats not like the lope of a car with a cam but more like a definite miss on one cylinder that you can hear at the tailpipe and feel in neutral and drive, the volume of oil in the intake manifold also tends to indicate more blowby than you'd like... I was surprised at how clean the intake valve stems and backsides are.

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Cool pics Bill. Do you pretty much have to go through the exercise of replacing the gaskets before determining the motor is bad?...or did the customer just want a bandaid?
    Cheers,
    George

could you take some pictures of the tops of the cylinders where the coating is supposed to wear away and leak? I find this an interesting post!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Interesting Bill...understand. Never is straight forward is it? On one hand I can understand where the guy is coming from but on the other...he seems to be throwing good money after bad and like you say in denial. And we know why...a heavy hit to change out that motor. If he keeps the car and wants it fixed right, he is now going to have to pay to have the gaskets changed twice ;-)
    Sent you an e-mail BTW...hope all is well.
    George

Default Sorry Jeff, its back together. I didn't pull the heads only resealed the

intake manifold, replaced the throttle body seal and replaced the pvc plate and orings on the back of the manifold. Check fuel pressure regulator and replaced the vacum line on it. The only other vacum lines from the manifol on this car go the the brake booster and one other off the throttle body.. Thats the full extent of what i did. So i have no idea what the cylinder wear looks like on it. He's going to drive it as is until it gets really bad or until it won't start.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    could you take some pictures of the tops of the cylinders where the coating is supposed to wear away and leak? I find this an interesting post!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast