GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Taking the car to the track - preparation questions

Default Taking the car to the track - preparation questions

I'm going to Canberra Porsche Track day at Wakfield Park on the 21st of March. http://www.wakefieldpark.com.au/

I want to make sure she runs fine with no problems.

The fluids I will replace are the;
    - AT trans fluid (dexron 3)
    - brake fluid flush
    - coolant flush
    - thinking of leaving the oil as it has 4,000 kms on it - synthetic - hardly any oil consumption
    - change power steering fluid
    - add some injector cleaner

Other things to do
    - new fuel filter
    - trim rotor sheilds at the front of the car

That's all I can think of to get my car ready. I'm running stock brakes on this day. Can you guys tell me what else I need to do to get her ready?

regards

kristian

What is the distance you have to drive Kristian?
    I know from own experience of a holiday trip to Australia that it is completely different to drive. I was driving for hours and no gas station, no restaurant, no water, just sheep. My wife was telling me to refuel when the tank was half empty, but I just laughed at her.
    Finally we reached a fuel station somewhere with probably the last drops in the tank.
    Is that such a trip?

In Japan I would not even bother to take cold drinks with me, as there are plenty of vending machines all over the country.

I take it your tracking it, make sure the brake pads arent running thin, front/back/inside and outside.

Basic comprehensive inspection of all mounts, engine, trans, rear end, guibo etc. Inspect the fuel line at the tank and engine for corrosion of the clamps, rubbing, dried hoses etc., including the cooling system. The trans fluid should be changed with a full synthetic and not the cheapie dextron III, I got a hold of royal purple for under 4 bux a quart here in the US, dont want anything thats going to break down under stress.

dont put the injector cleaner in unless your going to change the oil right after, it will contaminate it.

Cutting the rotor shields may actually cause them to run hotter, dont guess unless your absolutly positive before making a change like that. Common sence doesnt always prevail on a car such as yours that was engineered to run fast as hell on an autobahn.

thats about it for now...I'll think of more as soon as I post this I'm sure.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I would be afraid of running street pads/worn rotors on a track. Get a good set of pads beforehand, break them in before you go to the event.

Get new rotors to go with those pads as well, at least for the front. Your rears should hold up depending on how hard the track is on braking.
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

The brakes at the moment are stock - The front are about 1 year old or 20,000 kms and the rear are new lucas pads and protex rotors. I'm not going to buy new front rotors or pads yet.

regal - i know that the trans should take a full synthetic but I'm having trouble finding one downunder, maybe some one else here can help?

shogun - The track is maybe 200kms from where I live or a 2 1/4 hour drive. I think the track is about 20mins from the nearest petrol station.

I suggest some additional air in tyres. Preferably also some nice hard shocks . Dont slow down for bends. They call you cissy
    David in the UK
    86 316a 7336664
    92 525iXaT GD79080
    99 Z3 2.8a LC67252

i would take out the rear and passenger seats, remove the spare tire (when u get there) and try to take out anything not welded into the car =]