GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Just ordered my Sach suspention kit.......

Default Just ordered my Sach suspention kit.......

What kind of time is it going to take to install? I am a back yard wrencher. I was able to change the heater core out in about a total work time of 6 hours. from the book, are there any short cuts or other hints that will help me along? I did a search and I only saw a write-up on about the same wording as the book.

Also, What and how long is the involvement in the removel of the driveline?

Thanks,

Stephen

Congrats on the kit!

was it whit's write up that you read?

shortcut- take your time =).

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

guess I'll put in my 2¢. When I first did my struts (same as springs & struts) it took me about 6 hours...for the front only.

I had problems with breaking a socket (had to reassemble everything because of no other transportation) for the 3 bolts on the strut housing (lower bolts) did some running around to get a decent impact socket to fit. then I was not ready for the weight of the strut/housing and other assembly which kinda caught me off guard. The lower control arms were in so tight I ended up using an acetaline torch to get it to pop, (which doesnt need to be removed).

Umm... the spring compressor wasn't co-operating in the way that I was accustomed to which added some time. The install was OK except after all that wasted effort wrenching a lot of stuff that didnt need wrenching left me a bit weak and very frustrated. Thanks to an extra case of beer just incase, I persisted and got one side on and was determined to at least finish the front end before I finished that new case...I did.

The rears were a breeze the next day, took less than an hour. The bolts under the rear shelf were a little tough to get to without trashing it and I later found out that you can simply slide that out.

If you have help for a couple hours it will really help speed things up along with air tools. Once you have done the front strut thing a couple times it gets easier.

Remember to tighten all the bolts, use loctite on them 3 strut housing bolts, tighten the shock collers "tight", put the brake pads on the right way and then double check everything when you are done.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Everyone pops their control arms and such; I got through it just fine without touching them. Hell; I didn't even take my rotor off.

It does make reinstalling the strut a bit of a trick, and you'll need someone to put their foot on the tie rod end and push the steering plate down enough to pop the strut back into place.

All in all, though, not hard. Be sure you have a pipe wrench that can handle the collar nut. I was so happy the Fred Meyer down the street was open at 11pm when I got to that step. (Also happy they carried large pipe wrenches.. )

Oh, and don't forget to yank the ABS sensor.. heh.. oops.

Also, you'll need a 6mm (on my car at least) allen socket to fit in the strut rod top to keep it from tuning while you loosen the big bolt on top. One Craftsman 6mm allen socket gave its life for this task - and caused me to drive around for a day on one new/one old shock.

I guess the real moral of this story is to not start this project at 9:00 on a sunday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    ...I guess the real moral of this story is to not start this project at 9:00 on a sunday night.
    Dammit boy! Where's your sense of adventure?
    Now let me see. Two cases of beer should see us through 'til about 3AM....

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

I got you covered baby:

www.statch.com/users/wlowel/e34suspension.pdf

everything you need to know. even done on the same model and year.

best, whit

Nice job Whit!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

excellent write up lowell

brilliant write up ! Im really gonna find that useful !
    thanks Whit !
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com