GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Key in steering column turns and feels empty car won't start!

Default My Key in steering column turns and feels empty car won't start!

I am a novice at this, and have read some of the forums on the steering lock mechanism.....but here is my question.....

My car is in the garage (thank god!) went to start car yesterday morning, and put the key in, and it went thru all positions and felt like the inside was empty (no resistance feel). Car wouldnt start....battery is good, lights, interior, etc...fine...

Afer reading the forums, I utilized the suggested reference on how to pull out the steering lock tumbler...(after a little distress I was able to get my homemade paper clip tool to remove the tumbler). I also used some graphite inside it BEFORe I removed it, but no luck to get it started.

Also, at the beginning when I took the key out, the dashboard was ding donging reading "key in ignition". I cannot also, get the car out of park either.

Now, my question is...I have the tumbler out...what next? I do not know what to look for as to what is broken. Any help on the next step and how to do it WOULD be so appreciated.

So far the forums have been wonderful with any prior problems I have found and how to repair them. I would appreciate anyone's step by step "what's next" help.

Thanks!

sounds like the link from the lock cylinder that goes through the column is broken or popped off.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...00&hg=32&fg=30
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Try it again. Stick the key in till the end. If it is not completely inserted, that can happen. If that does not ehlp, see above comments.

Default I think I found the broken part.....

The lock cylinder turned out to be ok from what I can determine...and the next piece inside that follows the cylinder was in two pieces.....the part that is operated by the tongue on the end of the lock cylinder.

My son took the part and will tomorrow go to the local stealer and see what they say....He said there was no part number on this piece though....Is it part of something else or is this mechanism replaceable by itself?

Thanks for your help and the diagrams were great!

the diagrams are on the online ETK, play around with it and you can get to everything on the car! Since people are showing me links to my own questions I wanted to see if I could find your steering column. What did the broken part look like?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The part was definately broken...

I actually only saw the piece that was broken off....It was only 1/2" depth and had the indentation in the center of it that the tongue fits into from the lock cylinder. There was some white plastic part around it also. My son came over and removed the whole piece and took it with him so I was unable to view the whole piece...

I looked at the diagram from the OEM site you mentioned and I don't actually see that piece shown there. It must be inside of the casting and I am wondering if, according to this diagram, it could be item No. 2 (interlock steering lock).? I do know it is the part before the ignition switch.

Thanks again for your help and when I find out the outcome of this bad predicament (sp?) I will follow up if you are interested.

You've been a terrific help and I appreciate it.

Default That picture site was what I used...

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    I did utilize that website for taking out my lock cylinder with the key in it. That was no problem...and that website was just exactly what someone needs to begin the process of removing the lock cylinder. But that website stops also, at that point.

I am at the next barrier which is finding out how much its going to cost to replace whatever the broken part is. And it is definately NOT the lock cylinder which I read quite alot of threads on and they pretty much match what everyone is saying. Its usually not the cylinder but another part inside of the casting.

Thanks for the reference...it was my bible for this task!

This happened to me three weeks ago. I had to replace the key cylinder tumbler ($96), and the steering lock housing ($146).

I'm impressed that you got the key cylinder out with a paperclip.... brilliant. Are you McGyver?

I got the local bimmer mechanic to do it; total of $530.
    Keeevin
    '95 525i 5-speed

I too had this problem last month. It also was the lock cylinder housing. The housing is a "pistol" to remove, tamper-proof fasteners. Even though it was a small piece in the housing that was broken, the complete housing had to be purchased and replaced. I believe the job required that the air-bag be disabled and steering wheel removed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast