GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E32 750iL questions to electronic gurus (long)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default E32 750iL questions to electronic gurus (long)

Have tried to help a friend here in Japan yesterday.
    The VIN is DC55265, it is a Japanese model E-G50. Built 05/1990.
    Here what he posted on roadfly:

This afternoon for the first time, I started my car and the engine had this vibration and it sounded low pitched. I thought maybe I was in limp mode so I popped the hood to check. Both sides were running. So I shut the car off.
    Now a little history:
    Just prior to starting I checked the fluids and added about a liter of water to the resovoir tank. (Note: I had recieved a check coolant level in the past couple months and have been topping up) I can not see any coolant leaks and I am afraid it could be a head gasket? The oil level hasn't changed nor is there any usual signs of coolant and oil mixing (ie white sludge under oil cap, frothy oil on dipstick)I couldn't smell any coolant burning nor was there any on the ground. I started it up again and noticed a little bit of white exhaust (I live in Tokyo and the temp is above 0 celcius but still a little cool) After warm up the white exhaust disappeared. I think this is normal. The engine still has the vibration, and after driving around the block and letting the engine warm up the temp gauge reads normal (12 o'clock), with no overheating problems prior.
    In the past month I changed the catalytic converter on the left side, from the exhaust manifold to the muffler with a non OEM part (BMW after market part bought from ArizonaAZ)The catalyizer did not have a spot on the pipe to insert the exhaust temp sensor. I doubt however, this could be the problem as there have been no instances of this vibration until today. The funny thing is that I drove the car this morning and aside from it being cold from the night before it ran normally.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what I should be looking for? I know I have to find the coolant leak, but is that the probable source of the problem?
    -----------------
    I have driven the car and could compare it with my 750iL. There is almost no power, hardly can climb up a small hill, engine revs up very slow.
    Checked with the PEAKE: left side bank (drivers side LHD) says OA = emission (lambda) control.
    It looks to me the engine runs in limp mode, but I have never had my car in limp mode, so I am not sure.
    The temp. sensor on the new cat from USA has not been connected and hangs loose, see pic. The next pic is the other old oroiginal cat on the right (pass side) with the temp sensor connected.

We have a query for all the experts
    is the exhaust temp sensor within the engine control loop?
    nothing shown in Bentley Repair Manual

Car occasionally runs well but most often it sounds like its dieseling, vibration does not disappear with higher revs, is worse when cold, better when warm
    intake manifolds look to be tight
    the exhaust smells very rich and fuel consumption is poor
    very little power.

Also posted question on the German board. One comment was, that maybe the cat(s) are partly blocked and we should remove the exhausts from beg. of the cats and then rev the engine to see if any change.
    That we will do asap.
    But apparently no one knows about the function of this temp sensor and what effect it has when it is not connected.
    Any advise and comment is welcome. Thanks for reading the long posting.
    PS: The leak in the cooling system we found apparently. It has nothing to do with the power problem of the engine, just a leak at a place difficult to find.
    Last edited by shogun; 11-21-2013 at 11:14 PM.