GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Need catalytic help ASAP!

Default Need catalytic help ASAP!

I am switching from OEM catalytic converters to a magnaflow 94008 2 in 2 out. Currently my o2 sensor sits on the top side of the catalytic converter but toward the frontal area. so my question is, the 94008 magnaflow doesn't look like it has a hole for an O2 sensor. So where should I have my mechanic put the O2 sensor? Pre cat? After cat? what gives?

What to do?

id guess you should put it in the same general area. Maybe you should compare the innerds of a stocker in comparison the the aftermarket and try to place it in the same general area, if your onn an inch and its not in the correct spot you might have problems. Do your research before drilling away!.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

it needs to be pre cat and only reading one pipe won't hurt anything, i have the 02 mounted in one of the collectors of my e30s headers and it only reads 3 cylinders, just pick a safe spot where it's out of the way and weld in a 02 bung in one of the head pipes
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    it needs to be pre cat and only reading one pipe won't hurt anything, i have the 02 mounted in one of the collectors of my e30s headers and it only reads 3 cylinders, just pick a safe spot where it's out of the way and weld in a 02 bung in one of the head pipes
    Winfred, theres no harm in putting it a foot in front of the cat then and in one tube? Also, wouldn't that mean i could run no cats and the car wouldn't even know?

one tube and a foot forward would be fine, the only cars that care about the cat are obdII cars 96 and up with pre and post cat sensors

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Winfred, theres no harm in putting it a foot in front of the cat then and in one tube? Also, wouldn't that mean i could run no cats and the car wouldn't even know?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks winfred. i don't mean to question your knowledge but it seems everyone is telling me i need an x-pipe and to put the O2 sensor in that? This is un-needed right? I just want to clarify for final.

i've yet to have a problem with my car (e30 with headers) or any of the other cars i've done, a x-pipe wouldn't hurt and the sensor would be seeing the whole engine
    Last edited by winfred; 03-06-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i've yet to have a problem with my car (e30 with headers) or any of the other cars i've done, a x-pipe wouldn't hurt and the sensor would be seeing the whole engine

The purpose of the x-pipe is to balance the sound for dual exhausts (especially if the pipes are not close together).

Yay thread revival! Welcome newcomer.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

wow this was 2.5 years old. That's so funny.