PDA

View Full Version : M60 stall fixed! Thanks guys!

Phil in Vancouver
02-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Replaced the cam speed sensor after looking for it on ETK for about 45 minutes. Interesting how the full part name isn't listed, or at least not listed on my version. Had it flown in from Toronto to Vancouver overnight, installed it this am. Idle is a little low, but stall is completely gone. Thanks Jeff 530iT!

Following Tim's advice, I first checked the AFM boot, but it was in perfect shape, so the next thing was the sensor.

You guys are the sh!t! Thanks a lot!

Phil

tim
02-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Is that the one that is right near/on the vibration damper in the front near the a/c belt?

Glad it was easy- sure beats replacing the intake manifold gasket!

Tim

Jeff
02-18-2004, 03:06 PM
Nt

new540iowner
02-18-2004, 03:35 PM
How much was the part as I can't find it on any of the online part suppliers?

Phil in Vancouver
02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
PN courtesy of Jeff--Thanks, bud! I found it on the ETK doing a graphic search of the engine--it's in the "Upper Timing Case" diagram, item number 18, and is just labelled "crankshaft." The only reason I knew what it was is because Jeff supplied me with the PN. I'm not positive what the identical-looking parton the Lower Timing Case diagram is--part number 12 14 1 731 887, item number 12 on the diagram--but I'm pretty sure it's the Crankshaft Position Sensor. That's the one you're supposed to change when your car won't start and you've tried everything else.

Tim, I think the one you're talking about by the tensioner is in fact the Crank Position Sensor, more in the center of the block and further down than the Cam Speed Sensor. The Cam Speed Sensor is right under the AFM boot, bolts right into the block, and faces the front of the car when it's bolted in. I believe the crank position sensor points down toward the pulley on the end of the crank.

And new540iowner, the part was a sh!tload for what it was--$192 CDN including 14.5% sales tax. About $150 US or so. But I had no time to get it shipped up from BMA and go across the border to Washington to pick it up.

Anyway, assuming that everything is fixed, I won't have to do the manifold gaskets. Had a look while I was under there, and that is not a small job by any means. Doesn't look impossibly difficult, just very intricate and time-consuming.

Thanks again, guys!
Phil

Jeff
02-18-2004, 04:57 PM
I forgot that there were 2 of those sensors. I will have to look on my car when I get home. According to the ETK here are the descriptions of the parts:

Camshaft Speed Sensor (#18 on Diagram) 12 14 1 731 886
Crankshaft Speed Sensor (#12 on Diagram) 12 14 1 731 887

The CAMSHAFT Speed Sensor mounts in hole on the front upper left side of the engine (front upper left being when you are facing the engine).

The CRANKSHAFT Speed Sensor is mounted above the crankshaft and as Phil said, points down on the hub with the teeth that is mounted onto the end of the crankshaft.

Now that I think back, I may have replaced the Crankshaft speed sensor. I will have to check my records to know for sure.

Phil--Good and Bad part advice on my part. I am glad it fixed it, but in all actuality, I was thinking of the Crankshaft speed sensor and not the camshaft speed sensor. I think the Crankshaft speed sensor is the one that usually goes bad from what I remember. In any case, will double check when I get home. It's really bothering me now!

Jeff

Phil in Vancouver
02-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Took the car out for another run just now and the damn stall is back. So maybe it's the crank position sensor that's buggered. I know from the posts over the last year that I've been on the board that people are always getting them replaced.

Jeff, can you check whether it's the crank position sensor and let me know? Thanks!
Phil

happifella
02-18-2004, 10:29 PM
It was the Crankshaft Position Sensor-- 12 14 1 731 887. Sorry for the misinformation.

But read my other post. I think the oxygen sensor error codes are related to leaking intake manifold gaskets. But when you read my other post you will see that I actually had 3 problems -- Intake manifold gaskets, PVC Valve, and the Crankshaft Position sensor. All I can tell you is that even after replacing the intake manifold gaskets and PVC valve (and the oxygen sensors) the car was still shutting down like yours has been doing. Although it is a bit pricey, I would buy the Peake Code Reader tool .I think I paid around $145 for it. It's about $90 here to have the BMW Stealer hook the car up the DIS Computer and have a code read, so I decided it was a good investment. :) If you need to, feel free to email me off line at happifella@yahoo.com

Jeff

Phil in Vancouver
02-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the info. Looks like the route to go is crank sensor, then maybe 02 sensors, then the big job of the intake manifold gaskets.
I'll check out your instructions, too.
Cheers
Phil

tim
02-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Man,

So random that it would just go. Didn't you say you hadn't drove it for awhile. Gunk between the crank vib. damper and that sensor maybe? Give it a shot with some contact cleaner before you buy a new one. I once had some birds try to build a nest in my wife's minivan engine compartment. Maybe you had critters?

PS,

I just looked all over the ETK for the crank sensor. Which group is it in? I found a picture in the engine wiring harness group, but no part number or diagram.

happifella
02-18-2004, 11:51 PM
I attached a screen shot. It's #12 in the diagram.

Jeff

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 12:04 AM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/530cranksensor-1.jpg
I attached a screen shot. It's #12 in the diagram.

Jeff

happifella
02-19-2004, 12:12 AM
It ended up being small with crappy resolution. Bill how did you get yours to look so good yet have a small enough file size to post?

Thanks
Jeff

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 12:16 AM
It ended up being small with crappy resolution. Bill how did you get yours to look so good yet have a small enough file size to post?

Thanks
Jeff

Phil in Vancouver
02-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Anyway, Bill, why do you think it's not the crank position sensor? Do you think it's the intake manifold gaskets? (Likely after not driving for a month--I'm thinking they might have dried out)
Phil

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 12:50 AM
I'm saying is that you need to narrow it down to determine what the problem is before throwing a bunch of money at it....Take a look at the crank sensor first, see if its loose, check the gap, clean the connector, check the intake manifold for vacum leaks , check the crankcase vacum valve to see if its working properly, check and clean the idle control valve

Anyway, Bill, why do you think it's not the crank position sensor? Do you think it's the intake manifold gaskets? (Likely after not driving for a month--I'm thinking they might have dried out)
Phil