PDA

View Full Version : Power Mirror wiring help?

InfernoM3
02-26-2005, 09:17 PM
I have a set of AC Schnitzer mirrors I've been waiting to install for the longest time. Before sending them off to the shop to paint I wanted to make sure they work properly. If not I was thinking of getting some m5 replica mirrors w/ OEM connecter for easy install. Well today I removed my stock mirrors and tried to see how the wiring goes but they were not visible and inside some black tube housing? I did not want to cut open the tubing, etc... w/out know what I am getting into. How difficult is it to wire the new mirrors in and how do I do it. The ACS mirrors have I believe 3 cut wires hanging out? I have to go back and check the color. I would prefer to do a clean install if possible. I thinking I'm going to have to cut throught the tubing and strip the old wires and just connect them? Any help would be great.

Incantation
02-26-2005, 10:08 PM
i got a set of powered ones off ebay.. they also had only 3 wires. then i realized the motor only moved them to change view sideways... there was no up/down function.. heh. i thought this was stupid so i ended up not even wiring them .. but i did wire in the signal cluster.. and it works great

the rubber housing can be pulled back to reveal 4 wires.. i would just cut it off. it's bulky and might be a bitch to fit in behind the new mirrors

InfernoM3
02-26-2005, 11:00 PM
HOw many wires should there be to keep the save function as OEM? currentlY i think my OEM mirrors go up/down and side to side? I would think the ACS mirrors would have the same functionality as they are high quality tuner?

Javier
02-26-2005, 11:19 PM
to the mirrors, as long as you do not have a memory seat (guess you don't). It is the same for 1990 and 1992 models.

Operating table for the 4 wires Driver’s side:

1) Brown is permanently grounded.

UP
2) Black/White -
3) Blue/White +
4) Blue/Black +

DOWN
2) Black/White +
3) Blue/White -
4) Blue/Black +

LEFT
2) Black/White -
3) Blue/White +
4) Blue/Black Open circuit

RIGHT
2) Black/White +
3) Blue/White -
4) Blue/Black Open circuit

Blue/White wire is kept to + wile switch is not operated.

Passenger side is the same, but Black/White wire is a Blue/Green one.

Your mirrors are adequate for this signals, new ones???

Operating concept is: One single motor (Wired from Black/White to Blue/White), and one axis selector solenoid (Wired from Blue/Black to Brown). Side selector switch connects adjusting switch to Black/White or Blue/Green.

Javier

InfernoM3
02-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Ok i checked again. I have 4 wires on the ACS mirrors. blue, black, white, brown. So do I just cut the rubber housing off and match the wires w/ the wires from the stock mirror connector? I'll try to get some pics up if that will help.

Javier
02-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Is so, post it and I can work for you a connection table, if not; if, and only if the mirrors are direct replacement for original BMW non memory seats/mirror equipment, you can identify motor wires (the two wires that when energized with 12 V move the mirror, no mater the direction) this wires will be 2) and 3) from the table I posted before, now you should only determine which one is 2) and which one is 3) reversing the polarity and identifying movement (LEFT or RIGHT, if these two wires are mix-up, mirror moves contrary to requested by the adjusting switch).

Now apply 12 V to the other two wires (probably one of them would be brown and should be to ground, + 12V to the other wire). Energize simultaneously your motor, applying 12 V to the already identified wires 2) and 3), and check mirror moves in the other axis (UP-DOWN). If so, this third wire would be 4) on the table, and Brown will be 1).

You're done, just make the splices.

Javier

shogun
02-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Provided the wiring is the same on the E34 and the E32:
I think the 'normal' electric mirror has 4 cables and the one with memory has 10. The one with memory mirror has 2 potentiometers to store the position of the mirror.
Inside they look completely different:
Without memory is first pic
http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/images/mirrors.jpg

InfernoM3
02-28-2005, 01:40 AM
here is a pic. I don't have the wiring diagram. I bought it used.

InfernoM3
02-28-2005, 01:51 AM
Is so, post it and I can work for you a connection table, if not; if, and only if the mirrors are direct replacement for original BMW non memory seats/mirror equipment, you can identify motor wires (the two wires that when energized with 12 V move the mirror, no mater the direction) this wires will be 2) and 3) from the table I posted before, now you should only determine which one is 2) and which one is 3) reversing the polarity and identifying movement (LEFT or RIGHT, if these two wires are mix-up, mirror moves contrary to requested by the adjusting switch).

Now apply 12 V to the other two wires (probably one of them would be brown and should be to ground, + 12V to the other wire). Energize simultaneously your motor, applying 12 V to the already identified wires 2) and 3), and check mirror moves in the other axis (UP-DOWN). If so, this third wire would be 4) on the table, and Brown will be 1).

You're done, just make the splices.

Javier

Sorry I'm really clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. I must have fallen asleep during that class. I will try to remove the OEM mirror connector housing and see what that looks like to try to understand it better. How do I go about testing do I need a 12 v battery similiar to those ones u use to recharge car battery? Or should I just test w/ the existing mirror wires and just try to figure it out with your instructions

PaulJ
02-28-2005, 03:29 AM
One can make this more complicated than it really is. If you don't have memory mirrors(and with 4 wires, I don't think you do), then there are two motors in the mirror-one for up/down and one for left/right. You can see them in the first of those great pictures above. If you don't have the wiring diagram , use an ohmmeter to pair up the leads. The switch circuitry does the reversing of polarity required for the left/right or up/down operation. Let us know how the wires pair up and we can go from there. We might mix up all the functions but once the motors and colors are identified, simply re-connect and you're done. I've done this several times and almost everyone tries to make it too complicated.

Paul

Javier
02-28-2005, 08:01 AM
This link shows the Power mirror circuit for non-memory applications. The only difference with the 90/92 models is the presence of the solenoid over-voltage filtering diode. It is not there in 90/92 models.

http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/bmw_e34/5116.0/index.html

The operating concept is what I explain in the previous post, only one motor, and a solenoid axis selector. Rest of components is for heating, and has nothing to do with operation.

Don't know what is in the replacement mirror, but if two motors, it will be more complicated to adapt. Guess should be a direct replacement, so should identify the motor leads as recommended, but doing so, avoid applying 12V + to Brown lead, it should be ground by convention, and keeping it to - 12 V will prevent burning the diode if there.

Use wires to the body and Battery post in the engine compartment to provide 12 V for testing. You can apply 12 V to the 3 leads by pairs (do not include brown lead in testing), once you hear the motor hissing and see mirror moving, you got the 2 wires to the motor (Identify Left vs Right to know which wire is to go to Black/White and which one is to go to Blue/White per the table, the third one should be for the solenoid and go to Blue/Black, finally brown to brown. Connect and if you get opposite movement, you should exchange motor wires.

Javier