PDA

View Full Version : Suspension vs. steering rattle?

G Feller
02-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Although my control arms were replaced a couple of weeks ago and the rest of the suspension should be in good shape, I have a rattle that seems like it is right behind the firewall ahead of the steering wheel. It happens when I go over compound rough spots (I don't notice it when it's just a pothole). Not terrible, but it drives me nuts because I want the car to feel tight and this ruins any semblance of tightness it might otherwise have.

I have heard that the P/S gearbox can get loose and require adjustment. I don't have any issues with my steering, just that little rattle.

Anybody been through this or otherwise have insight?

Thanks.

p.s. Please have pity on me and my wide grill - not the engineering marvel the 535 is that's for sure. :)

Phil M
02-18-2004, 12:28 PM
"wider is better"

but pontiacs still suck. all domestics do. :)

http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/pmartin245/gmbldg.bmp
(pic of Geneal Motors Building, Detroit MI)

G Feller
02-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I love my Bimmer and loved my Acura and Toyota, but I would take a Corvette, Viper, GT40, or Neon RST-4 and love it to death if someone handed one to me. There's probably a few others that don't suck too, and that's assuming you are referring to current vintage only.

"wider is better"

but pontiacs still suck. all domestics do. :)

Phil M
02-18-2004, 12:41 PM
I love my Bimmer and loved my Acura and Toyota, but I would take a Corvette, Viper, GT40, or Neon RST-4 and love it to death if someone handed one to me. There's probably a few others that don't suck too, and that's assuming you are referring to current vintage only.
high end domestics such as those you listed are nice (GT 40 is superb), but im talking as a "whole". Gotta appeal to everyone I guess, at least in the US.

G Feller
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
Anyone?

Although my control arms were replaced a couple of weeks ago and the rest of the suspension should be in good shape, I have a rattle that seems like it is right behind the firewall ahead of the steering wheel. It happens especially when I go over compound rough spots (not so much when it's just a pothole, but a little then too). Not terrible, but it drives me nuts because I want the car to feel tight and this ruins any semblance of tightness it might otherwise have.

I have heard that the P/S gearbox can get loose and require adjustment. I don't have any issues with my steering, just that little rattle.

Anybody been through this or otherwise have insight?

Thanks.

p.s. Please have pity on me and my wide grill - not the engineering marvel the 535 is that's for sure. :)

Bill R.
02-19-2004, 10:39 AM
closer look at the sway bar links , thats the kind of a rattle that they make when bad...they typically rattle over the patch of rough road like you describe but not as noticable over a big one like a speed bump or pothole...

Anyone?

G Feller
02-19-2004, 10:51 AM
You know I don't wrench yet, so it is reasonable enough to doubt my certainty on these things. It is time for me to get a jack and stands and spend some time up close and personal with my car, that's really all there is to it.

closer look at the sway bar links , thats the kind of a rattle that they make when bad...they typically rattle over the patch of rough road like you describe but not as noticable over a big one like a speed bump or pothole...

632 Regal
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
thats what it ended up being on mine.

G Feller
02-19-2004, 12:13 PM
thats what it ended up being on mine.