PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help

Tim from OZ
02-18-2004, 06:48 AM
My '90 525ia M20 has developed an oil leak that I can't locate. The oil seems to be dripping from the oil filter. It started as a slow leak, but now almost pours out. The oil filter seems to be tight. Is there something just above the oil filter on the M20 engine that could be leaking this heavily. The block above the oil filter seems to be dry. I can't get a clear view above the oil filter to see where the oil is coming from. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

winfred
02-18-2004, 09:49 AM
could be the oil pressure switch, it's below the oil filter on a m20. the weirdest leak i got from one of those, the 90 525 had a major leak on the driver side that turned out to be the op switch was blowing oil through the loom on the wiring harness and filling up the box that all the wires branch out from under the intake

Tim from OZ
02-18-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Winfred. I recently changed the op switch and this doesn't seem to be the same type of leak. Is it possible that it is leaking from the oil filter. Either it has ruptured, or the seal has blown. Does this ever happen??

ocampg
02-18-2004, 03:34 PM
it happened after I did an oil change...turns out, when I pulled off the old oil filter, the gasket remained on the engine, so when I put the new filter on, it sat on top of the gasket, and when I started the car, I dumped about two quarts of oil on my parents driveway....anyway, I didnt realize what had actually gone wrong so I just tightened the oil filter some more, refilled the engine with another two quarts of oil, started the car, leaked yet another two quarts of oil onto my parents driveway! After that, I figured out what I had done wrong, fixed the problem and dumped a bag of kitty litter on the driveway..