PDA

View Full Version : '94 530i purchase- questions

MattG
02-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Car has 163k miles. Auto trans. Idled smoothly from cold start and also when hot. Trans shifts were a little soft for me but smooth. Had green (non BMW I guess) coolant. Brake fluid was fresh. Could not find dipstick to check trans fluid. Has new shocks, brake pads, water pump. Some cosmetic problems (dings, broken glove box latch) Asking $4,500/ offer.

Questions:
Weak points on the model?
What is reasonable trans life?
What is reasonable engine life?
Is there a recommended timing chain replacement interval?
Can I assume that with the smooth idle and 163k the Nikasil issue is a non-issue?
How can I check trans fluid condition?

Also, I plan on maintaining/repairing this thing on my own. I've got 2 Mercedes diesels (a '91 and '84) and have done full front end rebuild and timing chain on the '84 and all other regular maintenance on both cars. But, being unfamiliar with BMW and the 3.0 gas engine I'm a little nervous.

Thanks for any help,
Matt

632 Regal
02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
$4,500 is a good price.

Questions:

Weak points on the model? http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/what_will_break.htm

What is reasonable trans life? until it fails. (no solid guess here, mines got 170k no problems yet)

What is reasonable engine life? +/- 300k.

Is there a recommended timing chain replacement interval? Never.

Can I assume that with the smooth idle and 163k the Nikasil issue is a non-issue? Never assume anything with Nikasil, if it lasted to 100k it may last forever, some say it is inevitable but so is any kind of engine failure above 100k. I have 170k some have more with no problems, a lot of nikasil replacements were also due to other factors and not necessarilay the engine block material.

How can I check trans fluid condition? Pop it up on ramps, jack the back up so the car is level. Must be warm to the touch (trans pan...not scorching hot not cold) remove recessed hex plug. If it drips out its good, if theres nothing coming out add.

Also, I plan on maintaining/repairing this thing on my own. I've got 2 Mercedes diesels (a '91 and '84) and have done full front end rebuild and timing chain on the '84 and all other regular maintenance on both cars. But, being unfamiliar with BMW and the 3.0 gas engine I'm a little nervous. The only fear is fear itself.

Good luck!

Kalevera
02-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I think Mercs are harder to work on than an e34 - esp the 80's big bodies. Of course, the V8 adds a bit more flavor and fun to the maintenance mix. Don't the early M60's have problems with the oil pump mount bolts working themselves out over time? I read that if you take a light wrench or hammer and tap the side of the oil pan, you can sometimes hear the bolts knocking around in there.

After doing the front end on an '84 merc (what model?!), I wouldn't be afraid to maintain a V8 e34. As Jeff said, the only thing to fear is fear itself. Yeah, you'll run into problems that will make you want to pull your hair out, but once you get them fixed - you'll feel like the king. Hail to the king, baby.

632 Regal
02-20-2005, 06:27 PM
ohh ya, forgot about them peskey oil pump bolts...never checked mine yet. If the pump gets loose it will cavitate air (i think) and the cam chain tensioner will become loose and the results will be much worse than Nikisil itself, usually you will hear some ugly noises at idle first. Sometimes the bolts fall into the oil pan but not always so the hammer/oilpan test isnt fool proof. I read about 2 people pulling their pans to check and they both had loose pump bolts.

thanks Lowell

Derek A.
02-20-2005, 10:59 PM
Bottom line when looking at a car - have a BMW shop check the car out if you are unsure what you are looking it. $100 worth of prevention is worth $3000 worth of cure.

tim s
02-20-2005, 11:20 PM
i replaced the lower oil pan gasket that was leaking & did not check the bolts since i did not know of the problem. 10 months later i got worried, dropped the pan & found a bolt. never had any noise, oil pressure light, or other sign of it falling out.

make sure the heater core is not leaking. i still need to replace mine.

tim s.

spoolinturbo
02-21-2005, 12:26 AM
yea i would go with the above mentioned have it looked at by bmw know-it-alls and stuff. I did. I knew from the get-go the lifters were bad but thats something i am due to fix soon on my own. But mine has 195kmi no major problems at all. But every vehicle is always different, depends on who owned it before. but it seems like a low price so have it checked. Because thats what I payed for my 89 535i
jeff

Derek A.
02-21-2005, 08:31 AM
535i's do not have lifters. Are you talking about the rockers ?

yea i would go with the above mentioned have it looked at by bmw know-it-alls and stuff. I did. I knew from the get-go the lifters were bad but thats something i am due to fix soon on my own. But mine has 195kmi no major problems at all. But every vehicle is always different, depends on who owned it before. but it seems like a low price so have it checked. Because thats what I payed for my 89 535i
jeff

MattG
02-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Lowell,
A 300D (123). Curved, heavy front coil springs- requires one heck of a spring compressor and very scary when compressed.
Matt

After doing the front end on an '84 merc (what model?!), I wouldn't be afraid to maintain a V8 e34. As Jeff said, the only thing to fear is fear itself. Yeah, you'll run into problems that will make you want to pull your hair out, but once you get them fixed - you'll feel like the king. Hail to the king, baby.

DaCan23
02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Just checked my oil pump bolts this weekend.... one in the bottom of the pan and one half way out... took em all out and reinstalled w/ locktight.... except for the 2 at the top that are impossible to remove w/o removing just about the whole engine...