PDA

View Full Version : Yoko es100's are developing a horrendous howl into their second month.

Martin in Bellevue
02-18-2004, 03:01 AM
These damn tires don't have 2,000 miles & they are loud. They seem to have gotten loud since last week. I was ok with them during the first month, now somethings got to be done. Up to last week, there was no perceptible tire noise.

I rotated the things & removed the m turbine fans, hoping to find debris or some cause for the noise. No luck. Don't think I'm interested in going back to the Db's. They got loud & squirmy after the first year. The updated Db's would also be about $400 more for a set of 4, compared to the es100's.

Wish they still made the Intermediates.

George M
02-18-2004, 06:48 AM
hey bro...John Lenon was reported to make Yoko howl, but must of been doing some serious drugs at the time...that women was/is coyote ugly. I have had great luck with my Yoko Avid T4's which are a much milder all season cruiser tire with less aggressive tread pattern and taller sidewall...very quiet and great tires. Tire howl is annoying...surprised that they are making such a fuss.
Good Luck...believe tire noise is an issue with many high performance tires....hopefully they will quiet down as the weather warms. If not, you will have to get a Tri-flow exhaust.
George

Scott H
02-18-2004, 08:42 AM
I had those in 235/45/17 format and as soon as they wore a bit they got louder. The insides were wearing faster in the rear b/c of the camber back there. They also cupped a bit over the 20k miles that I got out of them. I thought the tire was a great price, but I won't buy them again. I'm trying B-stone RE750s this time around.

Craig
02-18-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm trying B-stone RE750s this time around.

You mean RE730s? I had these on my Mustang and was less than impressed, for the money. They are nearly as much as the Firestone Firehawks and have quite a bit less wet and dry grip. I'd spend the extra and get the Firehawks.

Scott H
02-18-2004, 11:42 AM
;)

Craig
02-18-2004, 12:11 PM
;)

:(

I'm not down with the tire tech I guess. That's good, as I really didn't like my RE730s and would hate to see anyone spend the money on them. :)

Runs off to tirerack.com to avoid any more embarassing moments

Scott H
02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
The only reason I know is because I recently purchased the set. Otherwise I would have said the same thing..........tires are not something I care to casually keep up on ;)

Craig
02-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I actually need to start doing some more research, I'll probably be picking up a set next month for the car and would hate to repeat my RE730 experience.

BennyM
02-18-2004, 04:38 PM
nt

Brian C.
02-18-2004, 04:55 PM
hey bro...John Lenon was reported to make Yoko howl, but must of been doing some serious drugs at the time...that women was/is coyote ugly. I have had great luck with my Yoko Avid T4's which are a much milder all season cruiser tire with less aggressive tread pattern and taller sidewall...very quiet and great tires. Tire howl is annoying...surprised that they are making such a fuss.
Good Luck...believe tire noise is an issue with many high performance tires....hopefully they will quiet down as the weather warms. If not, you will have to get a Tri-flow exhaust.
George

Stacy (Sydney)
02-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Yoko A539 ( v rated ) versus Bridgestone (z rated): I have 15" basketweaves ( 225/60 15), and have not been happy with the yoko's ( they have been fantastic for mileage, better than expected in the wet, bit noisy) because they give in too damn early to understeer. My car had z rated bridgestones when I bought it and I think they had more grip at the limit. I've heard about the firestones ( z rated) and will also consider these - due for a change in about a month.

Martin in Bellevue
02-18-2004, 05:42 PM
a set of avs Db II's that should be in next week. The changeover is costing me $152, for the labor of swapping & balance. Turns out I bought the es100's last October; tempus fugit, eh.

If I can find another set of the same m wheels, I'll buy the other tires outright & keep the es100's to pound on the track. Not dying to put Db's back on the car. Fudge, should I turn my back on Yokohama-mama's? I do appreciate the full pro rating from the tire store.

George

Scott H
02-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I think there are better tires than the ES100. I liked them except for the noise and the wear. Right now I'm happy I paid a bit more and got the Bridgestone RE750s the second time around. I won't bash the Yokos, I just wasn't going to get another ES100 back-to-back.....I wanted to try something new to me

I bet that doesn't help you at all Martin! HAHA :p

Jeff N.
02-19-2004, 12:12 AM
a set of avs Db II's that should be in next week.

paul p (chi-town)
02-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Yup this has me slightly concerned.
These are my summer flavah for the 3er in 225/50-16 since last spring. Considering the rumbly exhaust this may be less of a problem. But last summer i didn’t notice any sudden rise in tire noise tho.
Then again the 205/60-15 Yoko K2 snows did seem to step up in volume recently. Unlike the Michelin snows for the Sentra (the one that i did drive in chi-town salt) the Yokos have regular tread blocks. The Alpins were interesting in that the tread block sizes alternated, a trick to reduce the rumble i’m sure.

So when can we put these damn snows away?
I am soooo ready. :(

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/sign05.jpg (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i........”Hang up & Drive!” (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."-- Robert H. Jackson

Keith
02-19-2004, 05:51 PM
These damn tires don't have 2,000 miles & they are loud. They seem to have gotten loud since last week. I was ok with them during the first month, now somethings got to be done. Up to last week, there was no perceptible tire noise.

I rotated the things & removed the m turbine fans, hoping to find debris or some cause for the noise. No luck. Don't think I'm interested in going back to the Db's. They got loud & squirmy after the first year. The updated Db's would also be about $400 more for a set of 4, compared to the es100's.

Wish they still made the Intermediates.

Martin, I'm with ya on this one, I thought it was just me!
I've got about 3k on mine and it pisses me off how loud these damn things are.
My Kumho 712's were 10 times better than these, I almost bought them again, but decided to give the Yokes a try, now I'm very disappointed!
I haven't had a chance to go back to America's Tire Co. yet, but when I do, I'm going to tell the manager (whom I always deal with) to take a ride with me.
The thing is, these tires are great in the rain, they "do" have a stronger sidewall than my 712's did, so they handle the V8 up front much better, but the noise,it SUCKS!
Sorry, it just ticks me off talking about it.

Thanks for letting me vent, Keith '95 540