PDA

View Full Version : Automatic users - A/M?

digitaldragon03
02-16-2005, 01:39 AM
Does anybody know what the switch next to the gear selector does? If you slide it up it says "A" but if you move it down it says "M". I dont have my owners manual so i dont know what this is for. Can anybody fill me in on what it does?

shogun
02-16-2005, 02:16 AM
That is the mode switch. In my case I have S-E-M
S=sports = shifts to next higher gear at higher RPM
E= economy (automatically goes back to that when engine is restarted)
M=manual= does not shift into last gear
Also good for winter drive.
There are various options depending on the engine and the year the car is built.
I your case I would assume that A = automatic and M= manual.
Maybe someone can explain it better in detail for this A/M switch.
Here is a online manual which you can download and read about this function too
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

Kalevera
02-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Having my car in M (different trans than the 540, but I assume the program is the same) keeps it in 3rd gear. If the car's running OD, it will shift to 3rd if M is activated. NOT adviseable to start from a standstill in MD - it's a quick way to mess up the tranny, I'm told.

I usually just keep it in E...occasionally I use M when at certain speeds and want to accelerate faster.

granit_silber
02-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Having my car in M (different trans than the 540, but I assume the program is the same) keeps it in 3rd gear. If the car's running OD, it will shift to 3rd if M is activated. NOT adviseable to start from a standstill in MD - it's a quick way to mess up the tranny, I'm told.

I usually just keep it in E...occasionally I use M when at certain speeds and want to accelerate faster.
M = Manual
Just like a stick shift (not really, but kinda :)) the car won't shift from the selected gear until you bump the selector up.

A = automatic
You probably know how to use this one

2 Tricks for the selector...
1) with the tranny in "A" mode pull the gear selctor down into "3". The display on your dash should read "S3" you've just put the tranny into sport mode, which shifts at a higher RPM and is more fun.

2) according to the owner's manual, putting the tranny in "M" mode and selecting "3" (display reads M3) locks the tranny into 3rd gear and is the gear to use in snow for slow starts. After you do this, wait a second and your will hear (and possibly feel) the tranny lock into 3rd gear.

-ashley
just re-read lowell's post. I also have a 525ia, so this may be different in the 540. And he right NO "MD"!

digitaldragon03
02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks guys. That makes sense. That sport mode trick sounds really fun.

Oh, I kinda found out about the "kickdown" thing today by myself. Boy does it pull you into your seat. ;)