PDA

View Full Version : E34 Door panel re-install question

atomicDog
02-15-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm getting ready to replace the driver's side door panel on my 1995 525iT (power window motor died) and noticed that the black plastic retainers (which includes the clip that presses into the door to hold the panel onto the door), have come apart from the door panel. Is there any kind of glue that anyone has used to successfully to re-glue the black plastic retainers back onto the door panel?

Dave M
02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I'm getting ready to replace the driver's side door panel on my 1995 525iT (power window motor died) and noticed that the black plastic retainers (which includes the clip that presses into the door to hold the panel onto the door), have come apart from the door panel. Is there any kind of glue that anyone has used to successfully to re-glue the black plastic retainers back onto the door panel?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Body-Interior/doorpanelblackclip.jpg

I think I know what you’re talking about. The black plastic guy in the photo above that stays with the door when you remove the panel? If so, it needs to be placed (in the right direction) on the door panel when re-installing. I just fixed my rear door panels and when I replaced them, the clip would fall off one of the panels while maneuvering the panel. I actually used a piece of a sticky ‘post-it’ note (no tape on available) to temporarily hold it in place on the panel while I got below, lined it up, and smacked it home. I found it easiest (at least with the rears) to:
1)attach the panel at the ‘door sill’
2)get the black clip lined up with it's mate on the door by laying down below the door (may have to slide the clip up/down on the panel). Now push on the panel to engage the two
3)secure the white clips around the door edge.

I dunno, maybe that will help,

Dave M

atomicDog
02-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Actually, that's not the particular clip I'm talking about. The black plastic clips actually surround the door panel and have a white clip protruding out that attaches to the door. The black clips are attached to the door panel with some sort of yellowish adhesive. Looking at your picture, I noticed that your clips came off with the door panel as they should have. Mine didn't and need to be re-attached. What's the best adhesive to use that won't come loose?

Dave M
02-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Actually, that's not the particular clip I'm talking about. The black plastic clips actually surround the door panel and have a white clip protruding out that attaches to the door. The black clips are attached to the door panel with some sort of yellowish adhesive. Looking at your picture, I noticed that your clips came off with the door panel as they should have. Mine didn't and need to be re-attached. What's the best adhesive to use that won't come loose?

Can't take credit for all the door panel pics, the first two are someone else's 535 I believe. Do yours look like the one below? My panels are a bit different, with fewer clips and a more solid 'anchor'. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Gorilla Glue (see below, below pic). I used it for my door panel vinyl fix, skate ski binding fix, fiance's ring fix, etc. etc. and it seems to be a very strong glue. Just remember to follow the instructions and moisten one surface.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Body-Interior/doorpanelclipslocation.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/Body-Interior/DoorPanels_2004007.jpg

Best of luck,

Dave M

Kalevera
02-15-2005, 11:44 PM
I've been pulling my door panels (all of them) for a few weeks now...for various reasons. I reconditioned all of them with pretty good results.

I used GOOP to reseat the black plastic holders for the clips. It's kind of tricky because mine were warped (?), so I only got contact on one surface (the fiberboard panel is beveled on the edges).

Whatever you use, follow good gluing technique and be sure to put some pressure on the objects being glued for at least a few hours....Then it won't come apart later.

good luck!

best, whit

atomicDog
02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
DaveM and Lowell, thanks for your replies. The pic posted looks just like my driver's side door panel, which shows all of the pesky clips that surround the perimiter of the panel. These are the ones I have to glue back onto the panel. I'll give the Gorilla glue a try, as we have a store here that sells it.