PDA

View Full Version : ignition koilpack experts--take a look pls.......

ryan roopnarine
02-17-2004, 05:09 PM
http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/Tuesday,%20February%2017,%202004.jpg here's my story.....

last nite, was bored, ragged the car out a little, kept it under 80mph

today, get a cell phone call while starting the car, and as a result, experience 2 incomplete starts (ie didn't crank it long enough to start). as a result, 3rd attempt was especially long.....after starting, smelt burning somewhere, car was running a "little" rough. drive car thinking that its merely the result of the three start attemps. get to stoplight where i find the car is idling rough, but high (round 900 rpm), but isn't in danger of cutting out. drive 8 miles on highway at 70mph....when i get back into city driving, the CEL comes on. arrive at destination, run stomp test and get back 1222. the roughness is similar to when the ICV hose fell off, except it can idle forever right now. drive home with same problem, but CEL goes off after I drive over a bump in the road. took all of the coils out to check spark plug. discover threads of n3 are covered in oil, but no oil outside or inside of coilpack boot. only coil with anything (oily or gas) on it is 6, for which i'm providing the pic of. question....is the crack in the coil marked by the red circle significant (it extends 3/4 centimetre toward coil in other dimension)? the other circles are oil marks. oh, and if its bad, I have a spare to swap, so don't hold back unnecessarily.

WarrenBrown
02-17-2004, 08:27 PM
That puppy looks like its history. I had bad coils in my 92 525i and they didn't even show signs of cracking. Your symptoms are of a bad coil, why fight it?

Warren Brown
91 318is
95 525iT

632 Regal
02-18-2004, 12:00 AM
definetly an unhappy coil, put it out of your misery.