PDA

View Full Version : Anti-lock light on, '94 540iA

Matt
02-17-2004, 05:03 PM
This morning I went out and got in my car ('94 540iA) and my anti-lock warning light stayed on. Still on at lunch and this afternoon. How can I read ABS codes? Any ideas how to diagnose this? (I think the problem is that yesterday I was quite pleased to realize I had gone a whole month without something on the car breaking!)

-Matt

ryan roopnarine
02-17-2004, 05:42 PM
to see if the abs fuse is intact first. likely the abs relay or sensors if it isn't....look at the fuse first though

This morning I went out and got in my car ('94 540iA) and my anti-lock warning light stayed on. Still on at lunch and this afternoon. How can I read ABS codes? Any ideas how to diagnose this? (I think the problem is that yesterday I was quite pleased to realize I had gone a whole month without something on the car breaking!)

-Matt

Matt
02-17-2004, 06:13 PM
to see if the abs fuse is intact first. likely the abs relay or sensors if it isn't....look at the fuse first though

Cool, I'll give it a look. Is the fuse in the box on the drivers side under the hood?

-Matt

ryan roopnarine
02-17-2004, 06:17 PM
(nt)

Anthony 94 525i
02-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I have had the anti lock light on also for a while...I had checked all the fuses....the funny thing is that the ASC is still working and also the anti lock brakes are also working..I pressed the button one day and the asc was on....light still lit though..I consulted a few mechanics but some gave me different scenarios. I think it is a sensor wire on the rear brakes, but I have not found an honest person to work on it yet. My brake guy says it is not for him..he has no computer..anyone know of a good and fair mechanic who works on BMW's in the Long Island area..New York.......anyway good luck....I know your feeling about something going wrong on the car...last month I had to replace the gas tank.....

Matt
02-18-2004, 06:38 AM
I don't have ASC, but when I saw the light was on, I decided to see if ABS was working, and was rewarded with a nice plume of front tire smoke, so I am sure it is something that prevents ABS from working...

-Matt