PDA

View Full Version : LOUD e34...a little help

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Hello all. I have been a huge BMW fan for years however I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to cars, however I am trying to learn now that I purchased my first bimmer.I got a '91 525i and it's in pretty good shape.Anyway I love the car to death and it runs/drives fine but it seems a bit loud.I know that the older BMW engines can be a little loud but this just seems a bit much.It's not too bad but it can sometimes set off a sensitive car alarm.It sounds very "throaty" and deep but not in a powerful way if that means anything.Anyway I was just wondering if this is common and if theres anything I can do to quiet it a bit.I was thinking maybe I just need a new muffler, but then again I really wouldn't know.If anyone can make sense of this post and provide any insite at all I would very much appreciate it.Thanks

Tiger
02-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Check muffler to see if stock, aftermarket, or rusted.

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 02:00 PM
have to take a closer look but from what i remember it seems to be stock and maybe a bit rusty

ryan roopnarine
02-17-2004, 05:44 PM
have a 92 525i with the same condition....the thing that set an alarm bell off in my head was your comment about the car alarms....personally i find doing that in my car amusing, but i could see if most others didn't

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 05:57 PM
Lol. I prefer something a bit quieter.So do I just need to buy a new muffler?