PDA

View Full Version : Ok.....anyone have an answer to this one?

wyldchyld
02-17-2004, 12:05 PM
My battery is dead and I've tried the emergency unlock with holding the handle and turning the key, didnt work.. My question is: Is there a way to access the hood release from under the car or get the hood open from the outside. I still havent tried going through the trunk light yet but is that done with a non-running car battery?

mikey535im
02-17-2004, 01:13 PM
Wyld.
When you did the key/hold the handle it was on the passengerdoor correct and the key has to be turned very hard almost to the point that it feels as it may break?

wyldchyld
02-17-2004, 01:29 PM
Wyld.
When you did the key/hold the handle it was on the passengerdoor correct and the key has to be turned very hard almost to the point that it feels as it may break?

Tried both doors neither worked then called dealership to find out if there was an emergency hood release.....of course not...and got a tip to try holding the handle in different positions, 1/4 1/3 way etc and jiggle with key to find right spot. This worked kinda, it unlocked the rear passenger door only but that was enough. Seems my battery cables are pretty gnarly so looks like I got off easy this time. Thanks for your help mikey

WarrenBrown
02-17-2004, 08:23 PM
When faced with the same situation, I jacked up the car at the front right. With that corner supported on a jack stand I attached the negative jumper cable to a good ground and the positive one to the fat wire on the starter. The fat wire is directly connected to the battery. You should be able to unlock the door then. Do not do this without a jack stand.

Warren Brown
91 318is
95 525iT

winfred
02-17-2004, 08:57 PM
it's easy to open the hood with a flat blade screw driver, between the center grill and L high beam, you can get at the latch and all it takes is a twist. sometimes i just pop the hood instead of doing the door latch shuffle, i can't remember when it ended but the early e32/34's the left door also will unlock with the extra twist and lift