PDA

View Full Version : Headlight low beams

jsvizijr
02-01-2005, 06:15 AM
Hi-

I read on one of the recent posts; "Best upgrades for $50.00 or less" that one could install replacement bulbs #9012. I have only been able to locate 9006. Do 9012's exist? Where can I find them? Will I need to make and electrical upgrades to my 1995 525i?

TIA
Joe

BigKriss
02-01-2005, 06:40 AM
#9012 are the high beams, while the 9006's are the low beams, me thinks. get the 9006's. no electrical upgrades necessary

zmuff
02-01-2005, 09:20 AM
Last July I put in a set of 9012 HIR2 low beams in my car. Yes, they do exist. I got mine from Daniel Stern Lighting. They are not listed on his website but give him a call and ask for them. He also has the 9011 HIR1 high beam bulbs. The light output is somewhat brighter than using the modified 9005 high beam in the low beam socket. The base of the 9012 will have to be modified basically the same as a 9005 to fit properly... piece of cake.

Here's a little info that I had saved on these bulbs:
They were invented by General Electric a few years ago. An HIR bulb differs from a standard Halogen bulb by the fact that they have a reflective infra red coating with primary purpose of reflecting heat back to the filament. They are being markeded under these names:

9011 HIR1, high beam, 2500lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts
9012 HIR2, low beam, 1875lm bright at 13,2 (+/-15%) Volts
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

632 Regal
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
just use the 9005 bulbs and crack the little piece of plastic on it so it will plug right in...BIG difference, actually driveable now.

cary
02-01-2005, 01:07 PM
There are two sources for the Toshiba/Harrision Lab HIR Bulbs, Daniel Stern lighting and hirheadlights.com. The guy from HIRheadlights also posts them on Ebay under 9012 and 9011 HIR. I believe he trims the tabs for you.

jsvizijr
02-03-2005, 08:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7951182275&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

liquidtiger720
02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Those bulges sure do look funny.

cary
02-04-2005, 12:09 PM
The bulb has to be shaped that way to function as intended. The coating is an infared reflective coating that reflects heat back to the filament while allowing light to pass through unaffected. The bulb has to be shaped to focus the reflected IR back at the filament to cause it to burn hotter and in turn put out more output per watt.

John B.
02-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I ordered a set of the 9011s for my low beams from the Ebay link yesterday. Exchanged several emails with Bill, the seller, who seems like a real nice guy. He's trimming them for the conversion & I should have them in a few days. Currently using the standard 9005 conversion but could definitely use more light as the low beams are pitted & I'm not ready to replace them yet. Might try the polishing route next.

MantecaBMW
02-04-2005, 01:47 PM
how they work.....I'm interested in these as well.

John B.
02-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I installed the 9011 bulbs in my low beams & went out for a test drive as soon as it got dark. I'd been running the Phillips Vision-Plus 9005s which are a nice bulb but the 9011s are a big improvement. I finally have what I consider a decent low beam & if I replace or buff out my pitted lenses they will be exceptional. If you buy them from Bill at the Ebay link above be sure to tell him you're going to run them in the low beams as he trims the tabs before sending out the bulbs.

632 Regal
02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I thought the 9011s werent much of a difference in candle power to the 9005s? Is there a big difference, I go by numbers on this stuff.

rnrn
02-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Damn you guys!! I JUST put the modified 9005s in and thought I had a much better low beam than those 06s. Guess I'll run with these for awhile until I hit someone ; }

Nevertheless, I am still happy with the "improvement"

John B.
02-08-2005, 09:26 AM
I thought the 9011s werent much of a difference in candle power to the 9005s? Is there a big difference, I go by numbers on this stuff.

There is plenty of info at the Ebay link & much more at other sites if you want numbers. I could see the difference as soon as my lights came on in the garage. Once I got out on the road the improvement was very noticible. Gone was the washed out looking light of the 9005s replaced by a bright low beam for the first time since I've owned the car.

cary
02-09-2005, 02:23 AM
The numbers are from memory so they are close but not exact.

9006= 1000 lumens
9005= 1700 lumens

9012 HIR (replacement for 9006) = 1875 lumens
9011 HIR (replacement for 9005) = 2500 lumens

HID lamps= 2800-3200 lumens depending on design.

Spasso
02-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I converted from the 9006 low beams to the 9005 high beams last year and they made a difference but not as much as I was hoping.

I sprung for the set of Toshiba HIR 9011 HIGH BEAM bulbs and BAM! Finally I have some light to work with. I modified the upper tab the same way as one does on the 9006/9005 conversion and they popped right in.

I parked 25 feet away from my garage door and used a grid formula from another site to realign them so the "hot" spots are where they are supposed to be.

I have read that it's the Toshiba bulbs that you want to buy, not the cheap knockoffs. The Toshiba bulbs have the correct patented reflective coating on the inside of the bulb (developed by GM) that returns the infrared waves back to the element making it burn BRIGHTER without burning hotter or using more wattage. The cheap knockoff bulbs, from what I have read do work but not as well and not as long.

The whole GM concept was to deliver 75% of the HID light at 20% the cost

I went to this guy, maxlumens@finemotoring.com

Well worth the saving of 360.00 plus labor for HID or so.

He did mention that he did not recommend for E36 cars because of glare problems, probably from the plexi covers,

JMI
02-12-2007, 12:58 AM
I converted from the 9006 low beams to the 9005 high beams last year and they made a difference but not as much as I was hoping.

I sprung for the set of Toshiba HIR 9011 HIGH beam bulbs and BAM! Finally I have some light to work with. I modified the upper tab the same way as one does on the 9006/9005 conversion and they popped right in...

Did you put the 9011's into your low beams?
Went to this link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHIBA-HIR-9011-9012-BULBS-THE-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007 QQitemZ170077823117QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
and was thinking of getting the 9012's for my low beams, as he recommends. Using the 9011's in the low beam, isn't that drawing more current then the circuit was designed for? Or am I being anal?

TIA

ajt3nc
02-12-2007, 01:02 AM
Jeff had it right. Buy the regulars.
With a knife, blowtorch, or screwdriver , remove the tab sticking up in between
the leads.
Connect the harness and drive at night.

bfd
02-12-2007, 11:04 AM
There are two sources for the Toshiba/Harrision Lab HIR Bulbs, Daniel Stern lighting and hirheadlights.com. The guy from HIRheadlights also posts them on Ebay under 9012 and 9011 HIR. I believe he trims the tabs for you.

Actually, there is another source for the 9011 low beam bulb, JOHN DEERE. Yes, JD specs the Toshiba 9011 low beam bulb for one of it tractors. What more, JD only charged $9.99 each!

However, the word got out to the Toyota/Subaru/Chevy/Ford crowds and JD got swamped. By the time I found out, just about every JD HIR bulb was sold out nationwide. Further, JD figured out what was happening and with new stock expected around March 3, prices have now gone up retailing something like $23.99. If you're interested JD p/n is AH211917.

For the highs, the Chevy is suppose to have spec'ed the 9012 HIR bulb for the Avalanche. IF so, you can get the Avalanche bulb for as little as $18.

Unfortunately, I've heard from either a toyota or corvette forum that it may not be the Toshiba HIR bulbs. Can anyone confirm whether it is?

Spasso
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Did you put the 9011's into your low beams?
Went to this link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHIBA-HIR-9011-9012-BULBS-THE-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007 QQitemZ170077823117QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
and was thinking of getting the 9012's for my low beams, as he recommends. Using the 9011's in the low beam, isn't that drawing more current then the circuit was designed for? Or am I being anal?

TIA
YES, I put the HIR 9011's into my low beam positions using the same method for coverting the 9005 high beam bulb into the low beam position as discussed elsewhere in this forum. They don't draw any more wattage than the 9005 bulbs and I have had no blown fuses or failure messages.

The low beam bulbs draw 55 watts and the stock high beams draw 60 to 65 watts depending on brand. Not enough to make a difference. 10 watts difference max? I've been running the high beam bulbs for a year in the low beam sockets without a problem. The HIR 9011's should be no different.

THE HIR 9011 BULBS DO NOT BURN HOTTER OR DRAW MORE CURRENT THAN THE 9005 HIGH BEAM BULB , LESS THAN 65 WATTS

For the sake of getting the job done quickly with the correct bulb I went to the link you posted, link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHIBA-HIR-9011-9012-BULBS-THE-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007 QQitemZ170077823117QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)
and bought those bulbs, They are TOSHIBA bulbs, the ones built to the original GM specs. DON'T BUY THE FAKES...............

Note, for trimming the the "tabs" so the bulb will fit the low beam position I used a butane torch and razor knife to cut off the excess plastic tab outside and the two internal guide ridges on the inside of the socket.

Don't forget to use the larger 'O' ring from a 9006 (LOW BEAM) bulb in addition to the stock 'O' ring on the HIR 9011 to ensure a good watertight seal. The 9006/9005 'O'rings are different sizes.

Spasso
02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Actually, there is another source for the 9011 low beam bulb, JOHN DEERE. Yes, JD specs the Toshiba 9011 low beam bulb for one of it tractors. What more, JD only charged $9.99 each!

However, the word got out to the Toyota/Subaru/Chevy/Ford crowds and JD got swamped. By the time I found out, just about every JD HIR bulb was sold out nationwide. Further, JD figured out what was happening and with new stock expected around March 3, prices have now gone up retailing something like $23.99. If you're interested JD p/n is AH211917.

For the highs, the Chevy is suppose to have spec'ed the 9012 HIR bulb for the Avalanche. IF so, you can get the Avalanche bulb for as little as $18.

Unfortunately, I've heard from either a toyota or corvette forum that it may not be the Toshiba HIR bulbs. Can anyone confirm whether it is?

According to the John Deere threads elsewhere in this forum John Deere only supplied the HIR 9012 LOW BEAM bulb.

GM supplied the HIR 9011 for the HIGHBEAM position ONLY in their trucks. (Taken from another thread).
I have seen repeatedly in other related threads that sources OTHER THAN John Deere was the only place to get the HIR 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb.

It's my understanding the HIR 9011 IS the HIGH BEAM bulb or I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to modify them to fit my low beam sockets.

If I am wrong and the HIR 9012 IS the high beam then these HIR 9011's are the frigging brightest LOWBEAM 65 watt bulbs I've ever seen.

bfd
02-12-2007, 04:39 PM
According to the John Deere threads elsewhere in this forum John Deere only supplied the HIR 9012 LOW BEAM bulb.

GM supplied the HIR 9011 for the HIGHBEAM position ONLY in their trucks. (Taken from another thread).
I have seen repeatedly in other related threads that sources OTHER THAN John Deere was the only place to get the HIR 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb.

It's my understanding the HIR 9011 IS the HIGH BEAM bulb or I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to modify them to fit my low beam sockets.

If I am wrong and the HIR 9012 IS the high beam then these HIR 9011's are the frigging brightest LOWBEAM 65 watt bulbs I've ever seen.

YES, you are correct, my bad. The John Deere HIR bulb is the 9012 LOW BEAM bulb.

So, based on the above, is the Chevy Avalanche high beam bulb, a true Toshiba/Harrison (GE Designed) 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb?

If so, go to gmpartsdirect.com and order p/n 15094219, you can get the 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb for $18.81 each.

JMI
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Spasso, thanks for the reply.
One more question if you don't mind. Was planning on keeping my "standard" bulbs in the High beams because they work OK (9005). Will the new 9011's in my "low" beams be brighter then my 9005 high beams?

TIA

Jim

Spasso
02-13-2007, 12:54 AM
YES, you are correct, my bad. The John Deere HIR bulb is the 9012 LOW BEAM bulb.

So, based on the above, is the Chevy Avalanche high beam bulb, a true Toshiba/Harrison (GE Designed) 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb?

If so, go to gmpartsdirect.com and order p/n 15094219, you can get the 9011 HIGH BEAM bulb for $18.81 each.
I think it is safe to bet that if you order the OEM HIR 9011 from GM you'll get the Toshiba/Harrison.

The next set I get I'll go to the dealer for that price, 18.81 ain't bad. I paid 26.00 including shipping on ebay.

Have to make sure of the part number though so I don't get the LOW BEAM bulb.

bfd
02-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I think it is safe to bet that if you order the OEM HIR 9011 from GM you'll get the Toshiba/Harrison.

The next set I get I'll go to the dealer for that price, 18.81 ain't bad. I paid 26.00 including shipping on ebay.

Yow, I just read a couple of Chevy sites and it appears that gmpartsdirect.com does not appear to be selling the Toshiba 9011 HIR bulbs. One guy ordered a set and got an 65w AC Delco/Phillips bulb that he said was definitely not a Toshiba HIR. Interestingly, he said the bulb had 9011 and HIR marked on it, so BEWARE!

I agree that a Chevy/GM dealer selling OE parts, will probably sell a Toshiba bulb. Problem for me is of the 3 dealers I called in my area, SF Bay Area, anone of them stocked this bulb and would have t special order it. Further, all the dealers had a list price of $36 and said $18 was way low.

Can you get a good 40-50% discount at your local Chevy/GM dealer? If so, you want the 2003-05 Avalanche HIGH BEAM bulb, p/n 15094219. I wonder if any of the local junkyards would have the bulb in stock....Good Luck!

Spasso
02-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Spasso, thanks for the reply.
One more question if you don't mind. Was planning on keeping my "standard" bulbs in the High beams because they work OK (9005). Will the new 9011's in my "low" beams be brighter then my 9005 high beams?

TIA

Jim

Because the different purpose and desired result that drives the design of the high beam lens, the 9005's in my high beams are like the "Midnight Sun" compared to the HIR 9011's in the low beam position thanks to the stupid "fisheye" design. The HIR 9011's are NOT brighter than my 9005 highbeams as a result. I have considered installing HIR 9011's in my HIGHBEAM positions as well, (insert evil laugh here...............)

The low beam lens controls and focuses the light in a more restricted pattern than the high beams, no worries there. Just make sure the elevation of the light beam is correct with 1/2 tank of gas and and a little extra weight in the back or you'll be pissing off a lot of on-coming traffic, including me.

Here's how to do it, Headlight Adjust (http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Electrical/Headlight_adjustment.htm)
The adjuster screws can be accessed through two small holes in the lower section of the black plastic grill pieces between the high and lowbeam lenses. The screws on mine are Phillips. You'll need a flashlight to look into the little holes to find the screw heads. Turning the screw counter-clockwise will RAISE the beam, turning clockwise will LOWER the beam.

Side to side adjustments are done from under the hood. I didn't touch those. No need to.

I am running Wagner Brite White 9005's in my high beams AND I also converted my fog lights to use the 9005's, not that it makes that much difference, (makes it easier to see the road kill on the shoulder is about all)

Hope this helps,
DJ

Spasso
02-13-2007, 01:33 AM
Yow, I just read a couple of Chevy sites and it appears that gmpartsdirect.com does not appear to be selling the Toshiba 9011 HIR bulbs. One guy ordered a set and got an 65w AC Delco/Phillips bulb that he said was definitely not a Toshiba HIR. Interestingly, he said the bulb had 9011 and HIR marked on it, so BEWARE!

I agree that a Chevy/GM dealer selling OE parts, will probably sell a Toshiba bulb. Problem for me is of the 3 dealers I called in my area, SF Bay Area, anone of them stocked this bulb and would have t special order it. Further, all the dealers had a list price of $36 and said $18 was way low.

Can you get a good 40-50% discount at your local Chevy/GM dealer? If so, you want the 2003-05 Avalanche HIGH BEAM bulb, p/n 15094219. I wonder if any of the local junkyards would have the bulb in stock....Good Luck!

I guess I don't feel so bad paying what I did on ebay, 26.95 each plus 5.00 shipping..
Here is the link to the ebay ad 9011/9012 Toshiba Bulbs (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHIBA-HIR-9011-9012-BULBS-THE-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007 QQitemZ170077823117QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW )
and here is what mine look like;

Good luck in the salvage yards but that might pay off hansomely if you can find the right trucks.

Spasso
02-13-2007, 01:50 AM
He notes that these are direct from the Toshiba Factory. NO warranty.

" When you order, please specify how many bulbs of each type you require. Send me an email to maxlumens@finemotoring.com if you like. For instance, many cars could use two 9011 high beams and two 9012 low beams. You can call them 9005 and 9006 if you like, or just high or low; I confirm each order by email before shipping. You never have to worry about ordering the wrong bulbs, and I always combine shipping to guarantee the lowest postage.

All bulbs are brand new, never installed, direct from the Toshiba factory. They are very rugged and solidly built, as light bulbs go. Sorry, but there is no warranty on a light bulb, and all sales should be considered final. If you have any question about whether a bulb will fit in your car, ask me. I only have the two bulb types, HIR 9011 and HIR 9012, which can replace 9005 and 9006. I don't know of any other automotive bulb types available with the HIR technology at this time. You should treat offers that claim otherwise with caution.

THE BULBS ARE $26.95 EACH, PER SINGLE BULB, NOT PER PAIR!!!!!

BTW, I am not associated with this product, just glad they are available!!!!

Spasso
02-13-2007, 05:39 PM

I have been informed by a qualified source with additional information that may help clarify design source and product accuracy when purchasing from whom,

"It was GE that developed the HIR process. They still make lots of HIR bulbs, just not for cars. The logic of the GE engineers was that incandescent car bulbs are history, and HID or LED are the future of auto lights. There was a Mercedes concept car at the Detroit show last month with LED headlights.

The Philips bulb sold at Chevy dealers is HIR in name only. The way the DOT specification was written left a big loophole for bulb makers, and Philips exploited it. No law against that, but those bulbs, while of good quality and brightness, do not employ any Halogen Infrared Reflecting technology at all. They're just ordinary halogens with particular base tabs."

Sounds to me that direct purchase from Toshiba or a Toshiba bulb distributor is the only way to get a "REAL" HIR bulb of original design and quality. I am told John Deere sells the REAL Toshiba bulb but only in the 9012 model.

I have also been reminded that any modifications are the sole responsibility of the purchaser and and not provided by or approved by ANY lighting distributor in this country.

I hope this clears things up for everyone.

As I said before, I am not a vendor, I am not associated with the distribution of these bulbs, I am a BUYER and like to see the little guy win without paying through the nose.

Robert K
02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
It just so happens that I have tried both the Sylvania XtraVision 9005 high beams and the Toshiba 9012 HIR low beams. As someone else stated, the lumens are 1700 for the first and 1875 for the second. To be honest, I thought the Sylvanias were brighter, so I sold the Toshiba bulbs. The great part was that I bought them at the local John Deere dealer and ended up selling them on Ebay for more than I paid for them. How's that for living right? :)

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i

Spasso
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
so I sold the (9012) Toshiba bulbs. The great part was that I bought them at the local John Deere dealer and ended up selling them on Ebay for more than I paid for them. How's that for living right? :)

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i
The laws of relativity are alive and well.

AutoXr
02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Dragging up an old thread....I called my John Deere dealers, and I can get the bulbs for $9.99. I asked for part #AH211917, but no one could verify that this is a Toshiba 9012 HIR.

Anyone with experience? I will get a Toshiba bulb? Thanks!

Qube
02-23-2007, 01:24 PM
HOLY MOLEY $27 bucks each bulb? Wow. Hope they last a long time!

9011 HIR (replacement for 9005) = 2500 lumens
-- Sound good. Sure, they won't have the 'nice' purple fringe cutoff of HIDs (in projectors), but more light is good.

...if only there were 9007s I'd retrofit them for my mother's Impreza. She's using GE Nighthawks but they are garbage.

MantecaBMW
02-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Toshiba 9011's in the high beams and low beams?

What about the fogs? Would love a brighter light from them when out in the twisties.

bfd
02-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Dragging up an old thread....I called my John Deere dealers, and I can get the bulbs for $9.99. I asked for part #AH211917, but no one could verify that this is a Toshiba 9012 HIR.

Anyone with experience? I will get a Toshiba bulb? Thanks!

Yes, JD bulb, AH211917 is a *true* Toshiba 9012 Low Beam bulb. The problem is can you really get it for $9.99 each? Its my understanding that there has been a run on these bulbs, lead by the Toyota/Chevy/Ford/Subaru crowd and there are no more bulbs anywhere.

New stock is coming in, expected 3/3/07, and the NEW RETAIL PRICE ranges from $23.99 to $29.99 each. For more check out: www.jdparts.deere.com

AutoXr
02-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I called them back and was told again, $9.99. When I mentioned I heard they were out of stock, he went to check, and got the updated information. He said there are 88 of them in Minneapolis, and that he can get 2 here by Tuesday. He also said there are three prices listed: 9.99; 17.50; and 23.99. I told him to order them and figure out what he wants to charge me. He will probably give me a break since he feels it's his fault for mis-quoting me. They're like that around here in farm country. :)

Thanks for the info...even at 23.99, that is not that expensive compared to some other cars, and they sound like great lights. Can't wait to try them.

AutoXr
03-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Follow up: Picked them up from John Deere dealer. I was charged 9.99! Woo-hoo! They are available....ask them to check Minneapolis warehouse.

Tab was easy to mod, put them in, .....not super impressed. They are a little brighter. Maybe I was expecting the sun to rise just in front of the car wherever I go, but I'm a tiny bit disappointed. Still, a good buy either way, and I had burned one out so I needed one anyway!

bfd
03-02-2007, 11:17 AM
I have been informed by a qualified source with additional information that may help clarify design source and product accuracy when purchasing from whom,

"It was GE that developed the HIR process. They still make lots of HIR bulbs, just not for cars. The logic of the GE engineers was that incandescent car bulbs are history, and HID or LED are the future of auto lights. There was a Mercedes concept car at the Detroit show last month with LED headlights.

The Philips bulb sold at Chevy dealers is HIR in name only. The way the DOT specification was written left a big loophole for bulb makers, and Philips exploited it. No law against that, but those bulbs, while of good quality and brightness, do not employ any Halogen Infrared Reflecting technology at all. They're just ordinary halogens with particular base tabs."

Sounds to me that direct purchase from Toshiba or a Toshiba bulb distributor is the only way to get a "REAL" HIR bulb of original design and quality. I am told John Deere sells the REAL Toshiba bulb but only in the 9012 model.

I have also been reminded that any modifications are the sole responsibility of the purchaser and and not provided by or approved by ANY lighting distributor in this country.

I hope this clears things up for everyone.

As I said before, I am not a vendor, I am not associated with the distribution of these bulbs, I am a BUYER and like to see the little guy win without paying through the nose.

OK, its pretty clear that the Chevy Avalanche high beam bulb is not the same as the Toshiba HIR 9011 bulb. HOWEVER, for those interested in a lower price bulb, the BMW E52 Z8 supposedly came with Toshiba 9011 HIR high beam bulbs, p/n 63128384643. If true, the list price is $29 (best price I found was $22.33 each). IF you local dealer provides CCA membership discount that might be the cheapest place to get it!

Spasso
03-02-2007, 09:57 PM
Aaah, the power of the internet!!!

Thanks for the info.

Robert K
03-03-2007, 06:35 AM
I was looking for some better low beam performance, so I first modified a set of Sylvania XtraVision 9005 high beam bulbs to work in the low beam socket. I was pretty impressed by the difference. Then I read the post about the John Deere HIR bulbs for $9.99 and decided to get a set. These were the HIR 9012 low beams. Got those and put them in and actually felt they had less light output. As you pointed out, I believe the difference in lumens is approx. 1700 for the std. 9005 bulbs and 1875 for the HIR 9012 low beam bulbs. Anyway, I ended up putting the modified 9005's back in and selling the HIR bulbs. So, unless you can score a set of the 9011 HIR high beam bulbs, my opinion is that you are much better off just buying a good set of 9005 bulbs and modifying them. I think the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs are nice and I believe somone recommended Wagner Britelights as well. By the way, I used a very sharp wood chisel to do the required trim work on the bulb housings to make them work in the low beam socket.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
1991 535i