PDA

View Full Version : A big thanks to Bill R for his help.

Martin in Bellevue
01-29-2005, 11:00 PM
Bill helped out with some instruction on replacing the timing belt, tensioner & some seals on a friend's '90 740gl Volvo. The lower front crank seal & the balancer shaft seal were both oil soaked. His assistance is indicative of the community we have on this board, thanks. Thanks are also in order for Jeff N. He stopped by to help hold the crank while pulling the lower hub.

The Volvo 740 is a pretty nice thing to work on. It turns out that the timing chain had been replaced at 198k miles, not the 99k miles, as thought. It shows 218k miles now. The tensioner was crusty & the seals needed replacement. The old tensioner is shown in the picture.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/tensioner.jpg

Jeff N.
01-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Get it all back together Martin?

Bill R.
01-30-2005, 12:03 AM
That crank pulley on the volvo certainly is easier to remove than the ones the
M30 has...Me , Winfred and one other guy i know are going to go in on a Volvo vadis dvd if you want to go in too Martin :)

Bill helped out with some instruction on replacing the timing belt, tensioner & some seals on a friend's '90 740gl Volvo. The lower front crank seal & the balancer shaft seal were both oil soaked. His assistance is indicative of the community we have on this board, thanks. Thanks are also in order for Jeff N. He stopped by to help hold the crank while pulling the lower hub.

The Volvo 740 is a pretty nice thing to work on. It turns out that the timing chain had been replaced at 198k miles, not the 99k miles, as thought. It shows 218k miles now. The tensioner was crusty & the seals needed replacement. The old tensioner is shown in the picture.

http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/Martin5er/tensioner.jpg

Martin in Bellevue
01-30-2005, 12:04 AM
tensioner! I tore 1 balance shaft seal putting it on, leading to another trip to the dealer. It does seem smoother & runs well, for what it is. Turns out that balancer was not positioned where it should have been. The lopey cronk is gone.

Bill R.
01-30-2005, 12:08 AM
lucky it spits it out the bottom and goes rolling across the road as your driving... If you're not so lucky it makes its way through the fan and through the radiator...its usually pretty obvious when the harmonic damper is starting to go bad though, you can see it wobble long before it goes completely

tensioner! I tore 1 balance shaft seal putting it on, leading to another trip to the dealer. It does seem smoother & runs well, for what it is. Turns out that balancer was not positioned where it should have been. The lopey cronk is gone.

winfred
01-30-2005, 12:19 AM
volvos love to blow out seals right out of the housing, check out the flame trap, on that 90 it should be by the injector rail around the #3 cylinder, the kit should cost 6 or so bucks and if it's been a long time since it's been changed, the vacuum line going to it and the nippel it's plugged onto in the center of the intake can get clogged. with fresh front seals if the trap is clogged it may blow out the rear main seal

winfred
01-30-2005, 12:23 AM
i check for that by marking from the center hub to the outer ring the belts ride on with a grease pen, then start it and run the steering to full lock hard a couple times, shut it off and check the mark to see if the inner hub is slipping inside of the outer. the problem is the rubber shrinks that's between the hub/ring

lucky it spits it out the bottom and goes rolling across the road as your driving... If you're not so lucky it makes its way through the fan and through the radiator...its usually pretty obvious when the harmonic damper is starting to go bad though, you can see it wobble long before it goes completely

Bill R.
01-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Get it all back together Martin?

Martin in Bellevue
01-30-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm already looking forward to the rear main seal replacement. I need to give my back a weekend or 2 off. That concrete garage floor is cold.

volvos love to blow out seals right out of the housing, check out the flame trap, on that 90 it should be by the injector rail around the #3 cylinder, the kit should cost 6 or so bucks and if it's been a long time since it's been changed, the vacuum line going to it and the nippel it's plugged onto in the center of the intake can get clogged. with fresh front seals if the trap is clogged it may blow out the rear main seal

Bill R.
01-30-2005, 01:24 AM
3 on the intake manifold... its the equivalent to a pcv valve for volvo.. You can usually clean this out with a small drill bit though...

http://www.bimmernut.com/~billr/images/flametrap.jpg

I'm already looking forward to the rear main seal replacement. I need to give my back a weekend or 2 off. That concrete garage floor is cold.

Martin in Bellevue
01-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Wouldn't it be rude of me not to go in on the buy? Could that be at about the price of a Bentley? :)

Bill R.
01-30-2005, 01:51 AM
models though starting around the early 90's and covering all the way up to 2004... Wouldn't be a lot of use for the 740, now if you know some people with 850's or newer then it might be of a lot of use.. If you just need info for the 740 just let me know what you need and I usually will have it on some of the software i already have now...

Wouldn't it be rude of me not to go in on the buy? Could that be at about the price of a Bentley? :)

Jeff N.
01-30-2005, 02:53 AM
...that and a baby on the way is pretty much owning my time lately. :)