PDA

View Full Version : Total brake job

my3rdbimmer
01-27-2005, 07:47 AM
getting ready to do a brake job on my e36 328i any thing i should know before i do it... any special tools.. ? changing brake fluid rotors and pads.. seems like my calipers are operating well.. i may rebuild not sure yet.. what kind of brake fluid is everyone using?? any suggestions on pads.. i was thinking raybestos. i drive fast so i'd like to get a good pad..

thanks in advance for your help..

Kalevera
01-27-2005, 10:49 AM
The e34 guys (me included) use ATE super blue for street use. If you like to drive fast, you might want to get some kind of racing fluid :)

I'm doing my brakes this weekend as well. Pretty run of the mill stuff on my 535...I'm sure it's the same way on an e36.

good luck!

paul p (chi-town)
01-27-2005, 10:46 PM
any special tools.. Assuming you’ve done brakes on other cars. Tricky things include the little allen bolts that hold the rotor down, many here have stripped them. Plenty of penetrating oil (PB blaster is a fave) and patience help. I was lucky and had no problems. Also the bolts that secure the caliper are allen head as well.
Pretty routine otherwise.
Comments apply to the fronts only, rears will be done in spring.
Axxis Ultimates (a buck or two more than MetalMasters) on the 3er and l like them, good bite. Had the MMs on the SE-R and since neither made it to a road course i really didn’t notice much of a difference. Both are relatively squeak free, but i am anal about bedding in pads properly (not to mention it can be quite fun).
ATE Super cause the blue looks pretty trick. Motul and Valvoline Synthetic are some other good choices.

”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004