PDA

View Full Version : "Low Coolant Level" ~ bah! I changed the coolant level

Bill H.
02-16-2004, 09:59 AM
sensor on my 92 525iTa over the weekend due to continued fault message. The actual coolant level was not low. Today I get same fault message & coolant level is in proper visiable range in side tank. Would it matter if I crossed the wire connection...one brown/one brown/white stripe on other? It seemed fine immediately after replacement. What else is to be done, computer maintainence reset? Drove to work with heater on even though it's kinda warm here in South Florida. Any ideas, fellas?
Thanks in advance. bh

Bill R.
02-16-2004, 10:03 AM
coolant sensors float stick at the bottom on me... I haven't had this happen with an actual bmw part only with the aftermarket ones like you get from Bma and other vendors.. If you still get the message after crossing the wires then you probably need to resolder the board on the ccm, check control module..

sensor on my 92 525iTa over the weekend due to continued fault message. The actual coolant level was not low. Today I get same fault message & coolant level is in proper visiable range in side tank. Would it matter if I crossed the wire connection...one brown/one brown/white stripe on other? It seemed fine immediately after replacement. What else is to be done, computer maintainence reset? Drove to work with heater on even though it's kinda warm here in South Florida. Any ideas, fellas?
Thanks in advance. bh

Russell
02-16-2004, 11:10 AM
I just bought a new coolant sensor from Pelikan, usually use BMA, to hopefully correct my coolant light issue. My indy told me they found no error with the existing sensor or electical connections. They told me they have seen several cars with this problem. They suspect an electrical connection issue soemwhere in the wiring.

That said, your comments/fix are new to me. Can you tell me more about where on the ccm board the problem might be?

I plan to replace a problem dash bulb when it warms up a bit. This looks like the time to fix both issues.

Bill as usual, your knowlege is outstanding.

coolant sensors float stick at the bottom on me... I haven't had this happen with an actual bmw part only with the aftermarket ones like you get from Bma and other vendors.. If you still get the message after crossing the wires then you probably need to resolder the board on the ccm, check control module..

Russell
02-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Bill Can you elaborate on the CCM fix?

Bill H.
02-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks again, Bill R. :)

Russell
02-16-2004, 04:49 PM
OOPs sorry. Please Bill R.

Russell
02-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Bill Can you elaborate on the CCM fix?

Bill R.
02-18-2004, 10:23 AM
any of the other circuit boards that the germans make and look for small hairline cracks that need to be resoldered on the backside. Here is the link from a fix that i saved awhile back on the e32 board from Kevin on roadfly:
Here (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e32/messages/archive/msgsy2002w12/53079.html)

and here's his other one
(http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e32/messages/archive/msgsy2002w13/53854.html)
And also as Warren states frequently sometimes just removing it and reinstalling it will clean up a bad connection enough to where it will work.
I would also treat it with stabilant 22 if you have it.

Bill H.
02-18-2004, 10:35 AM
many lesson from you, beside being continuely amazed at the depth AND range of your knowledge.
The simple lesson on this one & many others is, "Don't jump to the worst case senerio...just K.I.S.S.! Start with the, "Is the wire connected properly?" type questions. I have seen you do this many times with many problems & today, I think I got it. The K.I.S.S. method actually works.
At your service anytime in South Florida...and part way up the River of de Nile! ;)
Bill H.

Russell
02-18-2004, 11:05 AM
I just never suspected the circuit board. will examine a bit more closely when I replace some bulbs.

any of the other circuit boards that the germans make and look for small hairline cracks that need to be resoldered on the backside. Here is the link from a fix that i saved awhile back on the e32 board from Kevin on roadfly:
Here (http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e32/messages/archive/msgsy2002w12/53079.html)

and here's his other one
(http://bimmer.roadfly.org/e32/messages/archive/msgsy2002w13/53854.html)
And also as Warren states frequently sometimes just removing it and reinstalling it will clean up a bad connection enough to where it will work.
I would also treat it with stabilant 22 if you have it.