PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment inquery

Mike
02-16-2004, 12:56 AM
Like most fellow e34 owners on this board, I realise that our cars only get aligned at the front wheels, not the back. Some of my shade-tree mechanic friends (non bimmer owners) tell me that this is impossible, and bet me $ that this is a lie. Easy money I thought, but so far I have not been able to prove otherwise. Can anyone back me up with any evidence that the wheel alignment is only done to the front end of our cars? Perhaps a link, a techincal procedure, a scan (Bill R.-style :) ) or anything else that would be informative/convincing? E34 pride and German engineering is at stake here (and so is my wallet :( )

Thanx all!

Unregistered
02-16-2004, 08:38 PM
There is only one alignment value that is changed during alignment on the front end. That would be the TOE...it's either in or out...

The other alignment values are set by the condition of the bushings in your control arms.

Other factors come into play as worn tie rod ends that won't allow a toe angle to be set.

The rear is affected the same as the front except there is no adjustment. However, the alignment will show if there are bushings that are out of spec.

Mike
02-16-2004, 09:06 PM
A reply! Thank you much, I started second guessing myself a bit! So, only the toe can be adjusted - now how do I prove it to my dimwit friends short of jacking up the car? Is there a BMW alignment procedure somewhere on the net, perhaps a mention of this in a book?

Jeff N.
02-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Well - Bentlely's might help. Basically, there are no camber and caster adjustments on the car. They are either in or out of spec. If out, somethings bent or worn bad.

Of course, hehe...if you MOD yer car, then you do get these adjustments. :D

Mike
02-17-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanx for your insight on the situation. Jeff, is there anything outside of the Bentley's that covers alignment procedure? Basically I'm looking for mere proof that the car does NOT have (like you said) camber, caster and rear adjustment. If its on paper somewhere, even the net I get to prove my buddies wrong, who say that it's IMPOSSIBLE to have a car with no rear adjustment. I really need to prove myself, so Im counting on you guys...

Karl
02-17-2004, 07:14 AM
Rear toe can be adjusted by installing offset bushings into the trailing arm, where it attaches to the subframe. I needed that after lowering my older e12 528i. You can also get offset or adjustable front strut upper bearings to adjust front camber--basic speed equipment.

But neither if these are production adjustments.