PDA

View Full Version : my 7 is with non-factory aircond!!!

nsbone_1988_520i
01-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I just spent about RM1165 (US$306) to fix up my a/c:

cooling coil - RM400 / US$105
expansion valve - RM70 / $18
receiver dryer/filter - RM70 / $18
labor to remove/reinstalle dashboard, - RM600 / $158
recharged a/c - RM25 / US7

What was the surprised? The aircond is not factory one, it's malaysia made, so the cooling coil cannot be slided out from under the dash. Hence to take out the dash?

Now i am considering to fit factory bmw aircond in my next service, probably in 2 or 3 years, but an e32 at junkyard is difficult. Can e34 factory a/c can be used/retrofitted? I will need compressor, hoses, expansion valve, aircond "cowling" under the dash? What else?

thanks.

rahman

shogun
01-16-2005, 12:20 AM
If you want to change all to factory aircon, that is quite a job. Many parts are the same in the E32 and E34.
Best is you use the online parts catalog and compare the models.
I would just leave it if it works.
Here are some info which might be helpful for the change if you still want to do it:

IHKA components (http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/ihka/ihka.html)
There are more infos on Johan's page such as replacement of the aircon parts for 134a, and also look under center vents. If you want to do that job, it will look this this some day.

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/dash_out.jpg

nsbone_1988_520i
01-16-2005, 12:34 AM
Shogun,
The aircond man removed the dash/cooling coil housing like in the Johans page. Well, the way i saw it, the electronics (IHKA), etc are BMW, the differences are cooling coil, hoses (and way they are routed), expansion valve, compressor. SO if i can get those items, i should be set...and just need to change those components. My idea is, with BMW factory standard, the subsequent change of the cooling coil will not require me to remove the dashboard again (PITA=pain in the a??)...

Well that's how i figure out at this moment... tell me more... i think, i miss out something...

shogun
01-16-2005, 04:02 AM
Remember if it aint broke don't fix it!

Usually if all is working now, you will not have to touch that area for the next years.
So maybe simple is best.
And, as you live in a country with very high temperatures, I assume that maybe the installed local compressor suits more to that climate.
The original ones are actually not made for this climate, I have sometimes the feeling even here in summer.

nsbone_1988_520i
01-16-2005, 06:57 PM
ok noted.

But still my main concern is the the non-standard aircond cooling coil/evaporator, which cannot be slided out from under the dash, which will make its replacement as a mandatory dashboard removal... Which i think is not designed to be removed like the e36?

thanks,

rahman