PDA

View Full Version : Air con., recirc, and rear demister switches dead; heater temp hot

lesage
01-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Oct 92 525iXaT (UK): All of a sudden the 3 switches controlling a/c, recirculating air, and rear demist go dead. No reaction to pushing them, no light and no panel light on them at night.

Also heater air temp seems stuck high, and doesnt respond to temperature controls (Indeed, that was the first thing I noticed. Thinking that the problem was stuck heater valves, I thought Id turn the a/c on to cool the cabin down...then noticed no air con...and nothing else worked in the 3 switches)

I presume that something's happened to the wiring to the relays controlling a/c, demister, and heater valves...?

Questions:
1 Can anyone tell me where the loom from those 3 switches runs, and where the relays are located which control a/c, demister, heater valves (all fuses seem ok. btw)

2 a few days ago, I changed the cabin filter. Might I have disturbed the wiring to the sword equivalent in some way so as to have precipitated this problem?

I had the front struts changed a couple of days ago. It sees highly unlikely that had anything to do with it, but has anyone any observations?

Thanks for your help...

shogun
01-12-2005, 07:46 PM
for the IHKA which sits behind the sword. It has connections on both sides, each 2 on drivers and passenger side. Would first look for the connections in the area where you changed the microfilter, in any case there is a fuse blwon, a relay not working or a plug not really plugged. In such case I always look in the area I touched before and when everything worked fine.

Fuse and relays and wiring diagrams you find online on my page below under wiring diagrams.
First 3 selections are in russian language, but the wiring diagrams are English. Easy to select.

lesage
01-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Shogun: thanks. Sorted. It was bad seating of 2 of 3 multipin plugs in Sword equivalent.I hadnt pushed them home properly when I put the clips which hold them in back on,after changing the Microfilter.
Am blushing at my carelessness...

zygoteer
01-13-2005, 04:48 PM
We really do live in a marvelous world when you consider that someone in UK has a heart-stopping (sudden empty wallet feeling etc) electrical problem on a complex German car made nearly 13 years ago, that is CORRECTLY diagnosed by someone in Japan with essentially the first line of the first paragraph of a reply posted 12 hours 54 minutes later.
nice one Shogun ... impressive :)

lesage
01-14-2005, 10:19 AM
You are 100% correct, zygoteer, and I had reflected on similar thoughts myself as the answers rolled in.
The boards here and internet facilities more generally transform the task keeping what is, after all, a relatively complex piece of machinery built miles away
Globalisation of that nature, or 'internationalisation', perhaps, suits me fine...