PDA

View Full Version : ipod hook-up

MikeinSoCal
02-15-2004, 01:59 AM
anyone with experience in hard wiring an ipod.
Apple store salesperson suggested running it through the trunk pre-wired cd changer circuit. Any comments?

Anton CH.
02-15-2004, 03:16 AM
If you wait for a while and buy an alpine unit with AI changer control, Alpine will release an interface for the ipod. So you can wire it say in your trunk or glove compartment and control it via the head unit. If you connect via analog outs or something then you have to use the ipod to pick songs which you want to play.

Travelfeet
02-15-2004, 04:26 AM
Won't you want to take your ipod with you outside the car? I have a ZEN jukebox that I use regularly in my car with a standard RCA input. I ran an 1/8 female terminated /rca interconnct to the back of my stereo (kenwood) and out the back of the center console bin (between the seats) The Zen is a bit bigger than an Ipod, but it still fits in the bin and is easily accessable to driver or passenger. I have about 3 feet of slack on the cable. I do not know how to connect an aux input to the factory stereo, but many aftermarket models can have their CD changer controls adapted ($20-30 part) to a generic aux if the do not have one standard.

dv82u
02-16-2004, 01:41 AM
anyone with experience in hard wiring an ipod.
Apple store salesperson suggested running it through the trunk pre-wired cd changer circuit. Any comments?

If you live in the San Diego area. I would recommend La Jolla audio. I'm going to do mine, but I'm going to have the guys chip my stock stereo unit. The reason that I'm doing this is to keep all functions of the stock stereo unit to the instrument panel. This is my last project on my 95 540iA.

-Denmark

Kennan
02-16-2004, 07:26 AM
From what I hear, La Jolla audio, while they do a good job, has somewhat steep prices. Around the SD area, I've heard good things about audionoyz, but they are somewhat pricey as well. Maybe look into Al & Ed's, just avoid the one at Rosecrans.

dv82u
02-16-2004, 11:03 AM
From what I hear, La Jolla audio, while they do a good job, has somewhat steep prices. Around the SD area, I've heard good things about audionoyz, but they are somewhat pricey as well. Maybe look into Al & Ed's, just avoid the one at Rosecrans.

You can look in Al and Ed's, but if you want to compromise the stock stereo functions on your bimmer, then get a net headunit with an auxilary output. I having my chipped since I want to keep my stock headunit. La Jolla Audio does a good job and knows their cars. I'm not going to have Joe Blow tear up my car (Tweaker, Al and Ed's, and others that advertise in the Reader). All I'm saying is buyer beware.