PDA

View Full Version : How do the windshield wash systems work?

Sasquatch
01-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Hello, 1989 750il. How do the windshield washer systems work? I know that when I pull back on the lever the squirters wash the windshield. That part is easy. Now, how do I activate the headlight washers? How do the 3 washer tanks fit into the picture? There is one small tank to the rear of the tank assemblies, then there is a much larger one in front of the small one, then there is a reservoir down under the air box. How do they all fit together in the scheme of things?

shogun
01-09-2005, 08:51 PM
then the fog light and headlight washers work, but -if I remember correctly - only every 5th time the window washer is activated. I think it is mentioned in the owners manual. If you do not have one, go to my page and click for Johan and Sean's page, there is one for download.
Here is an explosion drawing of all the componets.

click here (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=GC81&mospid=47355&prod=19881100&hg=61&fg=45)

shogun
01-09-2005, 11:34 PM
After I have read your question I have answered it as much as I could. That is usually not so easy, just to answer, it takes time and investigation.
I have checked various files and after that I have answered you based on my checking and knowledge and again checking some of my files.
BUT, you have copied this question to at least 3 boards,
pls understand that I am out of this. No more anwers.

Paul in NZ
01-10-2005, 12:09 AM
yes there is something to do with every fifth wash and also some relationship wether lights are on or off.My 535 has three resevoirs three pumps and presumably at least three relays and associated connection to the general and relay modules.If your car has any similarities to mine the three tanks are
1) Windsheild wash water resevoir
2) Headlight(and or) foglight resevoir
3) Intensive clean fluid resevoir.
The intensive clean is activated on my car by pushing the button on the end of the windsheild wash wipe stalk.This squirts a special fluid(actually a deicing fluid too i think) onto the windsheild and the wipers work twice,followed by another squirt and another coupla wipes.It also squirts the fluid on the headlights too( i Think)

Hope this helps
Dont get to annoyed shogun cos i might ask you some questions on the e32 intensive clean system cos there isnt anything about it on the US cd set i have,apart from the fact that US cars dont have it!( the fives that is,the e32 and e31 have some info on it .....

winfred
01-10-2005, 12:27 AM
intensive cleaning is rare on some models but it did come on some us cars, i've only seen a couple 6 cylinder e34s with it, i've seen many e23/24/28/32s with it

apart from the fact that US cars dont have it!( the fives that is,the e32 and e31 have some info on it .....

Paul in NZ
01-10-2005, 02:59 AM
oohh goody someone who might be able to help!!!

shogun
01-10-2005, 03:31 AM
Poltergeist und der Vashers

Vas es loss? The windshield washer quit working yesterday and the intense washer pump buzzes but puts water on the ground (is this a built in warning that the systenm is bad)?

I have pulled the big double tank adjacent to valve cover and will check the pump and line for the intense washer today. I have a 1988, 750 mit headlight and foglight washers, and the pump for the basic windshield washing is located in the reservoir behind the right front headlight (of course)and I assume all pumps are the same so I will pull this pump and hook it to the intense pump connector (assuming that is good) and see if the pump runs. Having taken this much time, there is a relay in the front PDC, a blue one that is listed as the washer relay, I assume this controls all of the pumps and not just the basic system so if the intense washer pump works this would tell me that the realy is good.

Vhat do you tink Klaus?
-------------------
A nice answer from my friend Bubba, a former fighter pilot.
it's complicated in one way, but very sophipsticated in the other way.
Take the online ETK and try to follow the way the German Enginereers tried to get the super -duper best-ever- or whatever windshield washer.

I bet someone has been thinking about this all his working life and got an award after 65 yesrs working on the same problem.

Give it a try, not easy to understand, ;)

Paul in NZ
01-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I am sure that its all tied in to at least two relays and the general and maybe relay module.

Sasquatch
01-12-2005, 09:27 PM
Thanks all that replied. That is exaclty the information I needed.