PDA

View Full Version : Nakamichi Install...HELP

shoptb
02-14-2004, 01:44 PM
My Nakamichi CD-400 just arrived....I followed the instructions on bmwe34.net to try and install the head unit myself, although I'm at a stopping point. I bought the BMW Wiring Harness from Circuit City, but they don't have a "universal harness" that will connect to from the BMW harness that I purchased, to the Nakamichi. The harness that came with the Nakamichi is all split up at the other end....how do I know which wires go to which on the end of the BMW harness?

George M
02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
you tell what is what from the car harness by how it is connected to the factory radio and by using a multimeter thereby determining which lead is constant hot, which one is switching hot, which one is ground...the high output speaker connectors are all (+)
single connectors to each of four channels of the amp etc. The thin white lead which is connecting to ignition switching +12V hot powers the factory amp and power antenna buried in the rear glass defogger. The bigger question is does your Nakamichi actually wire to the factory harness. Some models are reported to only have low power out RCA connectors which is incompatible with the factory harness/powering through the factory amp. If this is the case, you need to purchase a separate post amp with RCA connector capability and circumvent the factory amp and wire to your speakers by building new cross-overs or eliminating some of the 10 separate speakers.
HTH,
George

Kennan
02-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Do you have these two items?
http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/item.pl?sku=SCOBW01B&vq_id=none

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list/t/Antenna+Adapters

shoptb
02-14-2004, 07:34 PM
Yes, I have the two adaptors....antenna and BMW harness adaptor. I ended up having to splice the Harness adaptor from Circuit City to fit the adaptor from Nakamichi. However, I am not able to use the BMW amplifier....the Nak seems awfully "quiet". I did connect the "remote unit" to the 12V power...and that seems to function, but it just doesn't seem to have as much sound as I expected.

Phil M
02-15-2004, 07:50 PM
for the Naka to really shine, you ought to buy/install a few new component speaker sets and an external amplifier. the stock amp and speakers dont live up to the Naka. search the board for these things and you will find many recommendations.

Unregistered
02-17-2004, 06:03 AM
Yes, I have the two adaptors....antenna and BMW harness adaptor. I ended up having to splice the Harness adaptor from Circuit City to fit the adaptor from Nakamichi. However, I am not able to use the BMW amplifier....the Nak seems awfully "quiet". I did connect the "remote unit" to the 12V power...and that seems to function, but it just doesn't seem to have as much sound as I expected.
Try fading the signal to the back or front.