PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt my 1st calliper today...

Bruno
02-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I am pretty proud...
Pictures to come soon.

Nothing much to it, just messy and you need compress air (that helps) and there is a trick to install the piston seal.
you need to install it on the piston 1st then you install the other side on the calliper... This will save you TONS of time.
Pictures and procedure next week.

Good love it to be paid to try new repairs hehehehe. Worked like a charm, best 30US the customer ever spent. (7 US for the seal kit, another 4 for the brake fluid). Bleeding was free of charge...

I would rebuild callipers anyday. :D

Now time for the valentine's day crap

rbeaud
02-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Bruno,

How long did it take? At what point did you need the compressed air?

I've got four rebuild kits waiting on me. But I wasn't sure how much time to budget.

Cheers,

Roland

Bill R.
02-15-2004, 11:57 PM
easier to get the piston or pistons out of the calipers. Its very easy to rebuild calipers, most of the time is consumed in cleaning them up and keeping them spotless while replacing the seals and installing. Its nice to have access to a hot tank or storm vulcan like a lot of machine shops have to clean them up for you. Otherwise you use brake spray cleaner and lint free rags. If you have four calipers sitting in front of you, you should be able to rebuild all four in less than an hour easy. And the compressed air you blow into the hole that the brake line was threaded into, then you hold your hand in front of the piston and the air pressure will pop the piston out into your hand... Regulate your air pressure so the piston doesn't fly out with much force... One more thing , if there is any rust or scoring present in the bore of the caliper then its junk.

Bruno,

How long did it take? At what point did you need the compressed air?

I've got four rebuild kits waiting on me. But I wasn't sure how much time to budget.

Cheers,

Roland

632 Regal
02-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I can forsee some summertime experiments already.

:)

MicahO
02-16-2004, 08:22 PM
...the compressed air you blow into the hole that the brake line was threaded into, then you hold your hand in front of the piston and the air pressure will pop the piston out into your hand... Regulate your air pressure so the piston doesn't fly out with much force...

Maybe the sets I was blowing apart were not in the norm, but on three out of four, I needed over 80lb of air, and they blew out with significant POP. I wouldn't want my hand in front of it, but the design of the caliper served to catch the piston before it could get away anyhow. On any caliper where the piston might run down the hall, I'd use a block of wood.

Drew - I've still got that pair of 40/10 rears to get back to you. The 38/10's were in rougher shape, and are still sitting greased and otherwise dismantled on my workbench.

I haven't seen you guys in forever! dayamn....