PDA

View Full Version : crazy coolant and a wedding

ChefJRD
12-27-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm a new BMW owner, an even newer novice mechanic and really need some help!

I just bought a '95 525i with 139k and it recently developed a sporadic coolant leak. Initially, after ~30 mins of driving, the temp would jump up to red for a minute and then return to the middle of the gauge. After stopping and checking the coolant level, you could see leakage from around the cap/bleeder screw (hard to tell). To be safe, I refilled and bled it well and it seemed to be fine after that.

Now, after the car sat for a week while I was home for Christmas, it has the leak again. The coolant temp still only increases for about a minute for every 30-45 mins of driving, and I noticed that air from the heater goes COLD when the coolant temp goes up.......but I don't know enough to connect the dots. I also get the "Low Coolant" warning when I turn off the car.

I know the car has a radiator and thermostat under a year old, but I don't have records for the rest.

Oh yeah, and I'm supposed to drive my buddy and some groomsmen to his wedding on Thursday - please help!!!

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 10:47 AM
I believe you have an air pocket hiding out on you!

ChefJRD
12-27-2004, 11:01 AM
Do you know why the heater air coming through the vents would go cold at the same time the coolant heats up? Could the heater valve have gone bad or something on that end??

ChefJRD
12-27-2004, 11:08 AM
And since the overheating occurs so infrequently and only for a short time, is it safe to say that the water pump and thermostat are working correctly? And I think the same for the fan and fan clutch?

632 Regal
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
definetly needs bleeding again. Did you bleed it with the car running and the heat on full also?

mike wong
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
something that's rated for 14-15 pounds.