PDA

View Full Version : OT: Chevy truck rear brakes question

gale
02-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I'm helping a friend do the rear brakes on his 98 Suburban tomorrow. I'm going to replace the outer wheel bearing seals since the shoes are soaked on one side. I did this a long time ago on a 72 Chevy van. Is the design still the same as the old axles with a retainer clip inside the differential on the ring gear/spider gear carrier? Same whether it's an LSD or open diff?

Thanks

632 Regal
02-13-2004, 11:46 PM
the newer posi's have the mark twain type of posi, a shitload of little breakable watch sized gears and such but you can get the c clips out. It isnt as easy as the old style but still do-able, after you pop the axles out its the same deal, pop in your claw hammer to pull the seal, silicone the new one, make a block of wood to fit pound it in and you will be done in an hour if everything fairs well.

Good luck!

winfred
02-13-2004, 11:46 PM
it was that way on the bosses 96 burb

632 Regal
02-14-2004, 12:20 AM
it was that way on the bosses 96 burb

Bill R.
02-14-2004, 01:18 AM
either full floating or semifloating, both ways it doesn't show the c clip type,
it shows the splined axles that bolt in from the wheel hub.

I'm helping a friend do the rear brakes on his 98 Suburban tomorrow. I'm going to replace the outer wheel bearing seals since the shoes are soaked on one side. I did this a long time ago on a 72 Chevy van. Is the design still the same as the old axles with a retainer clip inside the differential on the ring gear/spider gear carrier? Same whether it's an LSD or open diff?

Thanks

gale
02-16-2004, 12:27 AM
Didn't have to mess with the "watch mechanism". Pulled the cover off & unscrewed the retainer pin for the spider gear shaft & the rest was almost exactly like my 72 Chevy, deja vu all over again.

Lost my a$$ on bidding this job, figured I could do it in 2.5 hrs, wrong -- took close to 6 hrs after making a run back to Autozone to get the right size seals. The rest of the job was pretty much routine. What a pain working on rear drum brakes with all the springs & adjuster mechanism. Glad our bimmers have disks all around.

gale

Bill R.
02-16-2004, 09:39 AM
Didn't have to mess with the "watch mechanism". Pulled the cover off & unscrewed the retainer pin for the spider gear shaft & the rest was almost exactly like my 72 Chevy, deja vu all over again.

Lost my a$$ on bidding this job, figured I could do it in 2.5 hrs, wrong -- took close to 6 hrs after making a run back to Autozone to get the right size seals. The rest of the job was pretty much routine. What a pain working on rear drum brakes with all the springs & adjuster mechanism. Glad our bimmers have disks all around.

gale