PDA

View Full Version : e32: How to change power window motor

nsbone_1988_520i
12-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi,
I am just wondering if there's a way to change power window motor without taking out the power window bracket? My rear power windows are busted at both sides.

Thnks,
rahman

winfred
12-17-2004, 01:46 PM
try giving them a good wack while giving it power, this works about half of the time for us. you can take the motor out of the gear box by removing the two screws but i can't remember if that's one that you can get back in after it's removed, some you can't

shogun
12-18-2004, 01:53 AM
probably you know it, but just in case......

It sounds strange to me that both window motors are out at the same time.
The switch block for all 4 windows is between drivers and passenger seat.
There is a small rectangular button in this switch block between the switches for the rear windows. That is the child lock for the windows at the rear. If you push that switch down, windows at the rear cannot be operated with the switches in the rear doors.
Also the ilumination on the switches at the rear doors is off then.

Maybe that's all you have to do. ;)

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dashboard_removal/cc_front_switches.jpg

nsbone_1988_520i
12-18-2004, 08:46 AM
try giving them a good wack while giving it power, this works about half of the time for us. you can take the motor out of the gear box by removing the two screws but i can't remember if that's one that you can get back in after it's removed, some you can't

Hi Winfred,
I did unscrew the the 2 screws, but it seems the motor can't be taken out. If it works after the whacking, how long will it last after that?

BTW, anyone succsessfully replaced the motor without taking out the the motor mounting bracket? Need to drill out the rivets..

nsbone_1988_520i
12-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Shogun,
Thanks. I'll check that out for my rear windows on my e32.

But it would be good, if can tell me how to change the motor with least hassle or the right way? Seems like Johan&Sean, Gale and bmwe34.net dont have this documented yet... :(

Help...

probably you know it, but just in case......

It sounds strange to me that both window motors are out at the same time.
The switch block for all 4 windows is between drivers and passenger seat.
There is a small rectangular button in this switch block between the switches for the rear windows. That is the child lock for the windows at the rear. If you push that switch down, windows at the rear cannot be operated with the switches in the rear doors.
Also the ilumination on the switches at the rear doors is off then.

Maybe that's all you have to do. ;)

http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/dashboard_removal/cc_front_switches.jpg

winfred
12-18-2004, 12:49 PM
i've yet to see a german window motor wear out (busted gearboxes and stripped/bent regulators are another thing), it's almost always dirt or rust that stops the motor, a good wack sometimes jars the motor back into operation and with enough use it will clean itself sometimes and not need to be taken apart

nsbone_1988_520i
12-18-2004, 01:11 PM
i've yet to see a german window motor wear out (busted gearboxes and stripped/bent regulators are another thing), it's almost always dirt or rust that stops the motor, a good wack sometimes jars the motor back into operation and with enough use it will clean itself sometimes and not need to be taken apart

KOOL! In fact, i just wacked the passanger door (on my e34) and it's working again. Although feel not to use it, but seems recommended to use it all the time? So will use it more often.. or rather exercise it...

nsbone_1988_520i
12-19-2004, 06:25 AM

Winfred,
I managed to drill the rivet, and get the motor to run again. And now i probably know why it was rivetted, because it would probably get in window's way when winding down.

but my problem now, the motor won't wind down the window after it came down about 1 inch, unless push down by force on the window. Is there any alignment i need to do?

winfred
12-19-2004, 10:03 PM
it may just need some lube on the tracks that the glass slides in and the track on the bottom of the glass that the regulator slides in, if it has not been used in a while, any light oil will do for now

Winfred,
I managed to drill the rivet, and get the motor to run again. And now i probably know why it was rivetted, because it would probably get in window's way when winding down.

but my problem now, the motor won't wind down the window after it came down about 1 inch, unless push down by force on the window. Is there any alignment i need to do?

shogun
08-04-2013, 04:31 AM
some more info on this
Todor's BMW DIY page (http://todor.info/repair/)