PDA

View Full Version : Brake Linings !! Why did my display show this last night??

DaCan23
02-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Never expected a message like that to come up? I'd assume its refering to a leak in the brake lines or not the proper pressure? Or is there just some sensor that after so long will suggest doing something? The brakes did not seem out of the ordinary.

Thanks

Unregistered
02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
You need to spend about 120 bucks, get two brake pad sensors from the dealer (15 bucks) and a two sets of pads from someplace else. Pads vary by manufacturer, I've tried Raybestos and found they give lots less dust than stock, I mean lots.

Now check the archives and change the pads, you will need a jack or lift, some good size hex keys and a little patience, it's really no biggie.

The sensors were slighly when pad thickness is getting low, you will need to do the job withihn the next few months,

Good luck,

John in Ct
1995 525 im

632 Regal
02-13-2004, 03:45 PM
did mine in about an hour the first time, Make sure you have all the tools you need before starting the job and it should go smoothly. (double check you put the pads on the correct way :o))

AA540
02-13-2004, 03:45 PM
The message can come one for one of 2 reasons, 1) bad sensor , there is one on the LF and RR (if I remember correctly), they are only a few dollars at BMA www.bmaautoparts.com 2) Your brake sensor has been triggered, pads are thin, which is more likely the case. Also if you have a lip on your rotors change those as well. Also if it has been more than 2 years since your last brake fluid flush good time to do it.

Go to this site for instructions on a how to if you plan on doing it your self, http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Maintenance/Brakes/brakes_main.htm

I recently did my brakes myself and it took about 2 hours with 2 people working non stop, very cold garage we wanted to get the job done. Anyway contact BMA and they can set you up with the rotors and sensors, Pads are a personal preference I am happy with my Raybestos Ceramic QS.

Good luck
AA

DaCan23
02-13-2004, 03:56 PM
I did the brake job about 9 months ago, with Pagid pads, ATE Rotors, and both Sensors from BMA.

But I never reset the computer for this?

AA540
02-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Then I would check the sensors, make sure that they did not get damaged from road debris. There is nothing to reset fix the wiring problem with the sensors and it should go away.