PDA

View Full Version : looking for a 3 series

rickm
12-10-2004, 05:27 PM
The mrs totalled her Volvo 850 and needs another car. She wants something small, I'm thinking a 3 series, something like an early 90s 318/325. A 318 would work since she'd be less likely to get a ticket. :P

Any models to avoid? I want a 5 speed. I should drive over to Cary and steal Bill's. :)

Bill, know of any for sale in town?

winfred
12-10-2004, 10:53 PM
look for lotsa timming chain noise on the m42s, most of the ones i am seeing lately have wornout rails and guides (and usually a **** pot of oil leaks) now that they are getting older id go for a 325 as the 318s are usually pretty whipped by now (don't give a **** non bmw drivers) unless you find a cream puff $$$ the m50s are holding up better, and 5 speeds are better then autos for both cars

Scorpios Fight
02-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Hello Rick,
I just found a decent 91 E30 318i basic, white, 193k, little noise (exhaust at low RPM), no leaks, and minor interior/electrical problems. If you are still looking, let me know. I don't think the timing chain problem is a big deal. I have looked into its replacement and I think it can be done in a couple hours fairly cheaply. I like the lightness of this car, and the 5 speed is really a kick.

Chris

billb
02-16-2005, 10:07 AM
The mrs totalled her Volvo 850 and needs another car. She wants something small, I'm thinking a 3 series, something like an early 90s 318/325. A 318 would work since she'd be less likely to get a ticket. :P

Any models to avoid? I want a 5 speed. I should drive over to Cary and steal Bill's. :)

Bill, know of any for sale in town?

As Winfred points out in his post, my timing chain was making some pretty significant noise. I'm currently out of commission, will be back up and running by the weekend. New chain, all new sprockets, rails, tensioners, etc., to the tune of around $300. I'd suggest looking for a 325is for her.

And you can get a ticket just as easily in the 318is :D . It just takes a little longer to get to ticket-writing speed. I don't know of any for sale in the area at the moment. Maybe see if Bret (Rigmaster) has anything up his sleeve?

By the way, I'm heading your way this weekend, but only for a very short visit. The next time I'm there for any longer period of time, we'll give you a ring.

Bruno
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
look for lotsa timming chain noise on the m42s, most of the ones i am seeing lately have wornout rails and guides (and usually a **** pot of oil leaks) now that they are getting older id go for a 325 as the 318s are usually pretty whipped by now (don't give a **** non bmw drivers) unless you find a cream puff $$$ the m50s are holding up better, and 5 speeds are better then autos for both cars

I do agree with that, I have to work on freshing up an E30 '91 318i 5 speed, drove the car I was amazed with the power.
The chain is making a lot of noise at 3000Rpm, so I will open her up and change all the gaskets there and all the guides and the tensioner.

I need to fix the shifter that is hard to shift into reverse also.