PDA

View Full Version : E34 repair story I'd like to share (long)

Jason
02-13-2004, 11:51 AM
The weekend of the superbowl my battery went dead. This was particulary frustrating since I had just replaced it 6 days prior. Add the fact the override for the door locks didn'work and the car sat for 7 days before I was able to get in and get it to The Little Garage to find the drain. Trying to open the doors from the outside resulted in $230.00 worth of repair. Turns out there was no drain, i just got a bad battery. I had them fix the heat since there was none from the center vents or to the feet and the fan only worked on the "4" setting. Apparently, it was not the the $30.00 resistors but the sword so it wasnt cheap. They also fixed the brake lights and the rear deforster and some miscillaneous stuff. After all was said and done, the total was a bit high due to labor rates at $1400.00 and the car had been out of comission for an additional 4 days. I was shocked by the total at first, but the work was done well (and with a 1 yr gurantee) and the car was washed and vaccumed when I got it back. I'm happy to have the car back, and I still love it, but this is just one of the downsides of owning a car like this when you can't perform all the maintainence yourself. These people also want $850.00 for my upcoming insp. II which sounds steep to me even though this is a reputable shop. I was under the impressions that it would be around $450.00. I guess its just part of the ups and downs of owning an older BMW....

Bimmer Nut Ed
02-13-2004, 12:31 PM
IMHO, you got to learn to do some of that work yourself. It's very satisfying, and you can save yourself a ton of money. Money for mods!

Hector
02-13-2004, 12:45 PM
love-hate relationship with my '90 535i. I love how the car feels, looks, rides and able to hack it for modifications but I hate the cost of repairs. My only saving grace is that I have some mechanics skills otherwise I'd be up sh!t creek with bills coming out of the wazoo!

Right now, my car has been sitting in the parking spot for about 3 months now. Things that I'm working on: repairing cylinder headgasket, replacing oil pan gasket, replacing timing chain guide rail where I need to pull the vibration damper pulley off (could be a major pain in the keister) , replacing the oil filter canister and lost of old odds and ends that broke/ripped when I was removing engine parts to get the cylinder head off.

So I figure in parts I'll be spending about $1000 but I'll be saving about $1500 to $2000, or maybe more, in labor... and I'm taking my time in doing the reapirs too. If I didn't mind doing car work, which is somewhat a questionable hobby for me, then the time I'd be spending on car work would be valuable time wasted in my life. Like most others on this board, I have accepted the "growing pains" of dealing with a car like this.

All this has made me realize that to own an e34(m30), you have to go the distance and make some sacrifices whether financial or physical to keep the car in tip-top shape. Despite all this, I have no desire whatsoever to get rid of the car--I'd be like losing a rare jewel!!

Hector

G Feller
02-13-2004, 01:01 PM
My Inspection II was $650 plus a little more for fluids, etc. That was at $80 per hour here in Atlanta. Total bill at the shop that trip was $1700 ('95 540).

When I decided to buy this car, I budgeted $2k per year for maintenance and repairs but none for mods. The goal is to spend less than that and spend the difference on mods.

Obviously, I need to get a little more familiar with the inner workings of my car too, just a little too much going on in my life lately to go there. But I keep reading the board so the knowledge is in my brain and will perhaps seep to my fingers when I am ready!

Jason
02-13-2004, 01:20 PM
I live in NYC and don't have a garage.... makes things pretty difficult

IMHO, you got to learn to do some of that work yourself. It's very satisfying, and you can save yourself a ton of money. Money for mods!

scott540
02-13-2004, 02:04 PM
G was that price at ta dealer or indy?. I know I can do at least some of the stuff myself but I'm just curious.
My Inspection II was $650 plus a little more for fluids, etc. That was at $80 per hour here in Atlanta. Total bill at the shop that trip was $1700 ('95 540).

When I decided to buy this car, I budgeted $2k per year for maintenance and repairs but none for mods. The goal is to spend less than that and spend the difference on mods.

Obviously, I need to get a little more familiar with the inner workings of my car too, just a little too much going on in my life lately to go there. But I keep reading the board so the knowledge is in my brain and will perhaps seep to my fingers when I am ready!

NoSpeedLimits
02-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Local BMW dealer Inspection II = $800 +/- ('94 540IA)

G Feller
02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Not the dealer, but an independent BMW-only place called Buckhead Motor Works that uses only BMW-spec parts and fluids and that won't let you supply your own parts.

Cheaper than the dealer by quite a bit, but I'm still looking for the good indy here in ATL who will allow me to supply the parts.

scott540
02-13-2004, 03:00 PM
I had a good place like that in Minneapolis. Way into the club, track stuff etc. Really knew their stuff. They wouldn't let you bring parts in but they were still really good and they didn't gopuge on the parts either. Need to find one here .

632 Regal
02-14-2004, 01:03 AM
and spend a weekend, we could between us get the whole kajumble done. just an idea but I'm up in Michigan so no one comes this way.
just an idea tho

free pizza and beers

jeff

warton
02-14-2004, 03:12 AM
I'm happy to have the car back, and I still love it, but this is just one of the downsides of owning a car like this when you can't perform all the maintainence yourself. These people also want $850.00 for my upcoming insp. II which sounds steep to me even though this is a reputable shop. I was under the impressions that it would be around $450.00. I guess its just part of the ups and downs of owning an older BMW....

Until you put it in perspective. Between purchase price and all maintenance to date (excluding gas and insurance, which you'll pay for regardless), both of my e34s combined cost about the same as one new top of the line Honda Accord, and roughly 1/2 the price of the latest 5 series.

Peter

NoSpeedLimits
02-14-2004, 08:49 AM
You can't supply your own parts -- that stinks! WTF is up w/ that?

So they loose a few bucks on part mark-up. If it's money they are worried about loosing, then I am sure they could easily make up the difference in labor hours. What gives? Did you ask? I feel for you, that sucks! If they have issues with guaranteeing the parts, then tell them you sign an agreement to not to prosecute. Don't they realize that some people don't have the tools, time or place to do PM. So much for trying to save a buck or two. I don't know if you ever attempted to get the local BMW dealer to install parts you supply, but you might want to check into it because I got my local dealer to do it.

Hell, you would think your doing the repair shop a favor by bringing your own parts. I don't know how it is in your area, but most of the time when attempting to get service on my car the repair shop tells me to come back in a week or two because they don't have the parts - that's even after making an appointment.

Bill R.
02-14-2004, 12:00 PM
pretty much the standard practice, the exceptions are the more expensive parts that have to be purchased through the dealer, they can't put as much markup on them.. Its just like any other industry. And of course its money they are worried about losing...why else are they in business. I personally don't care if my customers bring their own parts in but it has bitten me on occasion...specifically where the customer brought me the wrong parts and i've already spent 3 hours tearing something down and its taking up space. I don't have time for the customer to ship it back and reorder so I have to put it back together... The customer doesn't want to pay me twice even though I'm doing the job twice so I have to arrive at some compromise...which means I waste a portion of my time unpaid.

You can't supply your own parts -- that stinks! WTF is up w/ that?

So they loose a few bucks on part mark-up. If it's money they are worried about loosing, then I am sure they could easily make up the difference in labor hours. What gives? Did you ask? I feel for you, that sucks! If they have issues with guaranteeing the parts, then tell them you sign an agreement to not to prosecute. Don't they realize that some people don't have the tools, time or place to do PM. So much for trying to save a buck or two. I don't know if you ever attempted to get the local BMW dealer to install parts you supply, but you might want to check into it because I got my local dealer to do it.

Hell, you would think your doing the repair shop a favor by bringing your own parts. I don't know how it is in your area, but most of the time when attempting to get service on my car the repair shop tells me to come back in a week or two because they don't have the parts - that's even after making an appointment.

TC535i
02-14-2004, 12:14 PM
Most shops also don't want to take parts, because they don't know what they're getting. When they supply it thru their parts distributors, they can warranty it. If you come up and hand them something, they have no idea of the quality or history of what you're handing them... and then you want them to promise it will work perfectly??

NoSpeedLimits
02-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Double!! Damn and I thought 60-80 bucks per hours was robbery. Especially since most employees only get 15 bucks an hour. I understand making a few dollars but it's not necessary to line your pockets with gold.

Actually, before you start to rip into me I want to clarify. As a business owner myself I totally understand it's not the garage owners fault, Christ, btwn the government and insurance companies they leave you little choice but to charge what you do. It not hard to see that most garages don't look like a Nascar owned garage. So it's obvious that the average repair shop is not living a life of luxury. I just feel for the guy who is barely making ends meet and he's hoping to save a few bucks and doesn't have the time, place or tools to do the repairs. Although, you do have a good point about relying on the correct parts. That would really suck. I suppose, as long as the garage and the customer understand the risk involved with bring in incorrect parts and agree to sign off on a written policy, then it may be possible entertain that type of business.

Sounds like a double edge sword.

Bruno
02-14-2004, 01:42 PM
You should come for a trip north... let's say in Canada, Mississauga.

I will take good care of your car I promise...

I have a customer coming from Montreal (5 hours drive) for an Inspection I...

Bruno
02-14-2004, 04:23 PM
C'mon, shops should know the difference between Lemforder or Meyle parts... it is pretty much written on it.

This is an example.

Most shop won't take your parts because they don't make a profit on it. They cannot go buy Meyle arms and charge you the same price the dealer does....

Warren N.CA
02-14-2004, 04:54 PM
it takes a lot of time for a non-pro. I did mine over a 3-week period, one task at a time. Cost me about $100, I guess. These cars are relatively easy to work on. Since you are new to this, suggest you do service items yourself and pay your shop just to "inspect" things that you are not sure about.

Sounds like your shop's charges were very fair, considering their location. Remember, their rent money needs to come from somewhere.

The weekend of the superbowl my battery went dead. This was particulary frustrating since I had just replaced it 6 days prior. Add the fact the override for the door locks didn'work and the car sat for 7 days before I was able to get in and get it to The Little Garage to find the drain. Trying to open the doors from the outside resulted in $230.00 worth of repair. Turns out there was no drain, i just got a bad battery. I had them fix the heat since there was none from the center vents or to the feet and the fan only worked on the "4" setting. Apparently, it was not the the $30.00 resistors but the sword so it wasnt cheap. They also fixed the brake lights and the rear deforster and some miscillaneous stuff. After all was said and done, the total was a bit high due to labor rates at $1400.00 and the car had been out of comission for an additional 4 days. I was shocked by the total at first, but the work was done well (and with a 1 yr gurantee) and the car was washed and vaccumed when I got it back. I'm happy to have the car back, and I still love it, but this is just one of the downsides of owning a car like this when you can't perform all the maintainence yourself. These people also want $850.00 for my upcoming insp. II which sounds steep to me even though this is a reputable shop. I was under the impressions that it would be around $450.00. I guess its just part of the ups and downs of owning an older BMW....

albundy
02-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I guess its the same all over the world! Over here (in Malaysia), we are allowed to bring your own parts but the mechanic will definitely mark up his labor charges.

To me, it all depends how much the mark up is on the parts. If say its less than 20% percent then I think i will let the mechanic supply the parts since if there any faults later on, he will remove the part and replace it at his cost, while if you had brought the part, you will still have to pay him labor charges.

Rgds
Don W
e34 M50

Hector
02-16-2004, 12:18 PM
I decided to take a little time to do some measuremements on the cylinder head hight with a caliper. Took several measurements at different points and took the average Ht at each point. The head had been machined before about 5 yrs ago after a blown head gasket. To my surprise, the head Ht measurement was right on within spec at each point. I was f'cking fuming because the mechanic had charged me for the cost to machine the head. In other words, I don't think he ever sent the head off to the machine shop, and made a few bucks on the side. Not a bad scheme, you're not there to oversee what's going on anyhow. This is just to show you that on top of cost gouging of parts and labor you got to watch for stuff like this also. In the rare instances I've been to a mechanic, and when I have the time, now I stay at the shop and watch what he is doing for peace of mind.

Double!! Damn and I thought 60-80 bucks per hours was robbery. Especially since most employees only get 15 bucks an hour. I understand making a few dollars but it's not necessary to line your pockets with gold.

Actually, before you start to rip into me I want to clarify. As a business owner myself I totally understand it's not the garage owners fault, Christ, btwn the government and insurance companies they leave you little choice but to charge what you do. It not hard to see that most garages don't look like a Nascar owned garage. So it's obvious that the average repair shop is not living a life of luxury. I just feel for the guy who is barely making ends meet and he's hoping to save a few bucks and doesn't have the time, place or tools to do the repairs. Although, you do have a good point about relying on the correct parts. That would really suck. I suppose, as long as the garage and the customer understand the risk involved with bring in incorrect parts and agree to sign off on a written policy, then it may be possible entertain that type of business.

Sounds like a double edge sword.

Jason
02-17-2004, 10:53 AM
These people were going to change all belts and fluids and tighten down all suspension parts. I found another reputable place that I have used before that will do it for $500.00, but I would like to know exactly whats involved so I can look into doing it myself. Thanks

it takes a lot of time for a non-pro. I did mine over a 3-week period, one task at a time. Cost me about $100, I guess. These cars are relatively easy to work on. Since you are new to this, suggest you do service items yourself and pay your shop just to "inspect" things that you are not sure about.

Sounds like your shop's charges were very fair, considering their location. Remember, their rent money needs to come from somewhere.

Warren N.CA
02-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Also, suggest you get the Bentley book. It not only lists the items, but also gives some information about performing each task. Belts need only be inspected, and replaced if needed. Sounds like your belts may be due, though. There is nothing wrong with you picking certain service items to do yourself, and have a shop do the balance. Just don't try buying parts and bringing them to your shop. They need the profit from parts sales.

IMHO, someone could do many Insp II items on the street, provided the weather wasn't too bad (Spring or Fall in NYC?).

Sorry I don't tknow how to put in a clickable URL, but here it is www.bmwe34.net

These people were going to change all belts and fluids and tighten down all suspension parts. I found another reputable place that I have used before that will do it for $500.00, but I would like to know exactly whats involved so I can look into doing it myself. Thanks

steven
02-17-2004, 11:32 AM
in albany, ny. however, i've had my 91 525 for over 2 years now and it hasn't seen a mechanic yet. i am by no means a mechanic, and i bought the car with a very basic understanding of cars in general (i've always done my own brake jobs but that was it). in the last two years i've replaced my suspension (did the control arms this weekend), heater core, brake disks and pads, radiator/thermo (did that right out in the street) and misc other repairs, maintenance and upgrades. and it runs like a top. my tools are minimal (although i seem to get something new for each repair) and i carry them right in the trunk (along with jackstands and extension cords/lights)

i do have periodic access to my father's garage in boston and i had access to a very small garage near binghamton (although that one is gone now).

ask your friends/family about using garage space every once in a while (or if they know someone that has space). i have a list of four or five different local places that i can ask about. i've never had anyone turn me down. just make sure you clean up before leaving and bring cardboard for the floor (for the little messes...).

i've found that these cars are generally very easy to work on (thanks to this board and bentley) and the parts are cheap (thanks to patrick and yves at bma). i've learned so much in two years, that i now have the confidence to tackle just about anything.

it's worth asking around. these babies can be very expensive, but well worth the effort.

good luck!

I live in NYC and don't have a garage.... makes things pretty difficult

NoSpeedLimits
02-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Although, I have met a few hotties in the waiting room, I always feel like such a dope when I find myself watching a mechanic fixing my car -- especially knowing that I can turn a wrench. Unfortunately, I too have been burnt before and refuse to leave the repair shop -- not unless it's an overnighter, then I bring a sleeping bag to share with the hotties :)

Hector
02-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I hear ya, hotties make the stay that much more enjoyable.

Jason
02-17-2004, 12:00 PM
I have the bentely, I always forget to check the E34 net first.... sorry

Also, suggest you get the Bentley book. It not only lists the items, but also gives some information about performing each task. Belts need only be inspected, and replaced if needed. Sounds like your belts may be due, though. There is nothing wrong with you picking certain service items to do yourself, and have a shop do the balance. Just don't try buying parts and bringing them to your shop. They need the profit from parts sales.

IMHO, someone could do many Insp II items on the street, provided the weather wasn't too bad (Spring or Fall in NYC?).

Sorry I don't tknow how to put in a clickable URL, but here it is www.bmwe34.net