PDA

View Full Version : Where's the smoke show???

NoSpeedLimits
02-13-2004, 06:02 AM
Since I bought my 94 540IA used (actually, very used w/ over 100K on speed-o), I have no idea what to expect when I stomp on the pedal. Where's the smoke show???

zmuff
02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Only having a 535im I can just guess on the results. With traction control on: blistering acceleration, traction control off: Michelin meltdown. Sure you want to do that? Of course, I have no room to talk. I've been practicing my power-on oversteer technique quite a bit lately and the Dunlops are showing it. LOL

TimGinCentralNJ
02-13-2004, 07:18 AM
What are you referring to as a "smoke show" exactly? Fyi, the majority of people posting here have E34's (many of them 540's) with well over 100k, the general concensus being, that's barely "broken in". Could you maybe re-phrase your question?

Rgds,
Tim G.
'91 535iM - 113k

Since I bought my 94 540IA used (actually, very used w/ over 100K on speed-o), I have no idea what to expect when I stomp on the pedal. Where's the smoke show???

Mike
02-13-2004, 09:57 AM
If you're referring to blue tire smoke, just turn off ASC+T, you'll see an abundance. But why would you want that? I could be misunderstanding your question...

NoSpeedLimits
02-13-2004, 10:58 AM
As Zmuff states: I want to do a Michelin meltdown.
Ya, I know I am just pissing money away. I don't make a habit off it, but during a testosterone spikes I feel the need to leave hot, smoldering marbles of rubber on the pavement. :)
Actually, I am glad you mentioned the Traction Control. I haven't seen any discussions regard ASC so I've assumed E34 owners are not experiencing problems with the system. Not to say it can't happen because I know anything is possible. The ASC system in my car appears to be on regardless if the system is turned on or off. Lately, I've been testing it out on the ice :) No sooner the tires loose traction a light comes on in the dash and I start hearing an unfamiliar sounds from the car and it feels like the motor looses powers. Is it possible for the system to come on when it's not turned on? Or is that the way it's designed? Assuming it's not, then the malfunction would more then likely explain my inability to perform a smoke show.

DueyT
02-13-2004, 01:23 PM
NSL, if the light is OFF then your ASC+T is actually ON.

The light is a warning that the system is either OFF (steady) through manual selection, faulty (steady), or working and reducing power/applying ABS (flashing).

Press an hold the ASC+T switch until the light turns ON....then smoke away!

Cheers,
Duey

NoSpeedLimits
02-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Yahoooooooo! I can hardly wait to try it out... I've already started to paint my face with Hi-Liter...hope it works...

Thanks for your help. I feel like such a dope...guess I should have paid closer attention to the owner manual, duhhhhh.