PDA

View Full Version : E34 Radiator grille removal

John S Busby
12-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Can't figure out how to remove the centre grille from my 1992 (E50 engined) 525i. Have removed the screw from the horizontal plastic cover sitting behind the grille and lifted the 2 clips on the rear edge of same. The top of the grill, complete with plastic cover, moves out a bit but is clearly still attached at the bottom. Suggestions please on how to proceed.

MBXB
12-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Winston Fong describes it in detail:

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ewinstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

John S Busby
12-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks MBXB and to Winston for a beautifully illustrated piece. I was getting nowhere before this feedback; the boys in Bavaria deserve a prize for the most devious and counter intuitive way of fixing a little old radiator grille. I went through the process as described but resorted to a modified approach when the screwdriver down the hole trick failed to produce the desired effect. I removed the headlamp covers from the engine bay side and dived in deadfirst with an inspection light to see what was amiss. My screwdriver had been pushing down on the outer edge of the tab causing it to bend ever so slightly but enough to raise the high end of the tapered side pieces sufficiently to prevent them passing through the slot in the grill. My method involved inserting a screwdriver between the tab tapers and into the slot from the engine bay side. Levering upwards and pulling the grille forwards at the same time got the sucker off. The nearside (offside for you colonials) was the trickiest with loads of gubbins on that side of the engine bay making it awkward getting ones head in far enough to see under the headlamp. Other side was easy once the washer reservoir was removed.

Thanks again.

JB