PDA

View Full Version : Best Tires

MantecaBMW
12-02-2004, 05:52 PM
I'm looking for the best tire for my '94 530i.

I've got the Sachs kit on order and the tires and wheels are next. I like the Rondell 72's, but they no longer come staggered. So, I'm thinking about the M-Parallel's.....18x8 front and 18x9.5 rear.

My driving is primarily freeway, appx 150 miles per day....about 38k+ miles per year. Looking for a long lasting, good handling all season performace tire.

I had Falken's ZE502's when I bought the car, but they were very noisy and seemed to have a long tread wear. I replaced those with Dunlop SP Sport A2's and after 21k miles they are wearing quite badly, cupping on the front outer edges and getting noisy and uncomfortable.

The Nitto NT555's look pretty good and are getting decent reviews.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Incantation
12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
i have Yokohama AVS DB 245x40x18

They are all seaons.. and amazing in all driving conditions. Primarily marketed as the quietest running tire in existence for luxury cars.. makes almost zero noise while driving. i love em but they're hella expensive
:)

chamilun
12-03-2004, 12:10 PM
i second the yokos.

have tirerack deliver em and be happy!

Chip
12-03-2004, 12:33 PM
Can't say how they'll do in the snow, but on dry and wet these tires are fantastic. Have ~16k on my set with 3 driving schools on them. Still very quite and plenty of life left.

i second the yokos.

have tirerack deliver em and be happy!

Qsilver7
12-03-2004, 11:44 PM
I'm looking for the best tire for my '94 530i.

I've got the Sachs kit on order and the tires and wheels are next. I like the Rondell 72's, but they no longer come staggered. So, I'm thinking about the M-Parallel's.....18x8 front and 18x9.5 rear.

My driving is primarily freeway, appx 150 miles per day....about 38k+ miles per year. Looking for a long lasting, good handling all season performace tire.

I had Falken's ZE502's when I bought the car, but they were very noisy and seemed to have a long tread wear. I replaced those with Dunlop SP Sport A2's and after 21k miles they are wearing quite badly, cupping on the front outer edges and getting noisy and uncomfortable.

The Nitto NT555's look pretty good and are getting decent reviews.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

That way you can narrow down the field to a few specific tires that fit the way you drive, where you drive, how you drive, and the type of conditions you drive in. Asking an international board "what's the best tire" may not give you what's really best for you. (not that the suggestions already given weren't good ones) A tire that fits the way you drive etc....may be different than what's needed in Phoenix, which is different than what's good in Seattle, which is different than what's good in Miami, which is different than what's good in Boston, which is different than what's good in London, Munich, Hong Kong, Cape Town, Baghdad, etc...... :D

50 fiver
12-04-2004, 09:07 AM
I had the nitto's and I think they were pretty good tires. I got good mileage and they lasted pretty well. I did not think they were too loud. I thought the ride was a little stiffer than my current tires though.

drum2430
12-05-2004, 06:58 AM
I just put a set of M parallel 18's on my e34. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 2 235/40's. The research I did showed an incredibly high rating in all categories. I live in Florida so I have to be honest, I do not remember the snow rating because I it not apply to my driving. The tires are the quietest, smoothest and most gripping I have ever driven. I can throw the car to its limits though the tightest turns and they don't make a sound. When I left the tire shop it was raining pretty hard. I stopped at a stop sign where I had to make a left turn. There was no trafic so I thought I would check the wet grip. I turned the wheel and stomped the pedal expecting to have to catch the back end as it kicked out. The car went through the turn as though it was on rails with absolutley ZERO slip. Because they are new I can't comment on wear but Michelins are usually pretty good. They don't come cheap but they are worth every penny. Check them out.

Ted K
12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
i have Yokohama AVS DB 245x40x18

They are all seaons.. and amazing in all driving conditions. Primarily marketed as the quietest running tire in existence for luxury cars.. makes almost zero noise while driving. i love em but they're hella expensive
:)

What do your X5 rims look like?

riot
12-05-2004, 07:06 PM
I got some new BBS RXII style 18" Wheels and I intend on putting some of the BF Goodrich T/A KDW's with the wild tred pattern on them. They are getting great reviews and seems to be what would fit the driving conditions for where I live in Texas. Anyone else hear good things )or bad) about these tires ?

MantecaBMW
12-08-2004, 07:54 PM
235/40/18 front
265/35/18 rear

They are getting favorable reviews and the price is pretty good at The Wheel Exchange.

My only concern is how everything will fit. I mostly drive by myself but ocassionally like to pick up my parents and head up to the wine country and I worry that with a full load that the larger rear tires may rub.

Has anyone had any problems running a 18x9.5 with a 255 - 265/35 with the Sachs kit? Wheel Exchange said it shouldn't be a problem, but if I get them on and they rub, I'm stuck with them.

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Mark