PDA

View Full Version : E36 Wipers work for a while...then stop!

slingbladef16
12-02-2004, 08:50 AM
My 96 328i (E36) windshield wipers work constantly on the intermittent setting, and move only for about 4-5 times, then freeze at random places on the windshield. They are non-responsive after that for about 10 minutes and then I can repeat the proccess in hope they freeze out of view. They also will respond if the car is turned off and then on again!
The windshield washer also does not work, but it looks like I just need a new pump.

The Haynes manual is so confusing because it references pictures of the electric relays from right and left hand steering models, 3-series and z3s in the same areas!

I am looking for the wiper relay. I bought a new wiper control module(behind the glovebox) and that was not the problem ($90 down the drain)!

Any help is appreciated! The dash is in pieces in my garage!
-Matt

Bellicose Right Winger
12-11-2004, 03:04 PM
My E28 wipers would freeze at random places on windshield in interval mode. Worked fine on slow or high speed. If your wipers don't work in low or high speed this likely doesn't apply. Problem was the park position contact in the wiper motor. It had fouled with grease causing intermittent contact. Removing wiper assembly, disassembling gearbox, and cleaning off grease fixed problem. Interval mode on E28, works by wiper relay sending pulse to wiper motor to get wipers moving and then depends on park position contact to return wipers to parked position, until the next on pulse.

Paul Shovestul

My 96 328i (E36) windshield wipers work constantly on the intermittent setting, and move only for about 4-5 times, then freeze at random places on the windshield. They are non-responsive after that for about 10 minutes and then I can repeat the proccess in hope they freeze out of view. They also will respond if the car is turned off and then on again!
The windshield washer also does not work, but it looks like I just need a new pump.

The Haynes manual is so confusing because it references pictures of the electric relays from right and left hand steering models, 3-series and z3s in the same areas!

I am looking for the wiper relay. I bought a new wiper control module(behind the glovebox) and that was not the problem ($90 down the drain)!

Any help is appreciated! The dash is in pieces in my garage!
-Matt