PDA

View Full Version : e34 Wheel Alignment

Hypr5
12-01-2004, 06:31 PM
I've heard a bunch that the e34 rear wheels have no adjustments for alignment and therefore can not be aligned.

I am lowering my car tomarrow and the shops want to perform a 4 wheel alignment which costs about 80$ and the front wheel alignment is only $39. Should I just go with the two wheel alignment or is there other things they do to the rear wheels too?

Thanks a bunch!

Incantation
12-01-2004, 06:39 PM
rears aren't alignable.. if they charge less just for the front you should go for that
i would think.. no?

what suspension are u puttin in?

Derek A.
12-01-2004, 07:37 PM
the only adjustment that can really be made is toe in/out.

javanic
12-01-2004, 08:48 PM

You can buy off-center bushings for the rear trailing arms. That's the extent of it, I believe.

Hypr5
12-01-2004, 10:05 PM
You can buy off-center bushings for the rear trailing arms. That's the extent of it, I believe.
Now, what does that change? toe or camber?

Your talking about the front, right?

Hypr5
12-01-2004, 10:06 PM
rears aren't alignable.. if they charge less just for the front you should go for that
i would think.. no?

what suspension are u puttin in?

H&R springs / Bilstein shocks (not sport) Can't handle the harshness of the sports.

Jr ///M5
12-01-2004, 10:37 PM
One reason to even consider a four wheel alignment is to see if the car still tracks as it should, this tells you if the bushings on the rear end of the car are still within spec. There is no adjustment, except on the ///M5.

The only adjustment is toe-in/out on the front end. The rest of the alignment checks tell you if your ball joints or bushings in the control arms are within spec.

Lowering the car will have an effect on toe-in/out, but not that much. But since you are paying for it anyway, have them set the toe to the M5 spec.

When you use a Sachs lowering kit, they send you the new alignment values with the kit.

Jr

Johntee540
12-02-2004, 09:48 AM
the rear camber from the factory is set for -1 with stock set up. This is exaggerated by wider tires and lowering. My tire guys tell me that when they set up the race cars they do - they always want to have a negative rear camber.

Having said that - there is available from Bav Auto Rear Camber Adjustment Plates that can be used with your rear shocks. They are about $500. I was going to do them - but the tire guys recommended against it saying that BMW knew what they were doing when they set the rear Camber of the 5 up. (or do they just want to sell more rear tires when I wear out that inside edge? Hmmmm) - JT

Hypr5
12-02-2004, 10:49 AM
but the tire guys recommended against it saying that BMW knew what they were doing when they set the rear Camber of the 5 up. (or do they just want to sell more rear tires when I wear out that inside edge? Hmmmm) - JT
It seems as if BMW may have known what they were doing when they set it up, but as you said - it's exaggerated by lowering and wider tires so it's really no longer the at the specs that BMW it to. Seems like it might be worth it. I'm afraid of just burning through tires.

I found that adjustable bushing set that you were talking about them, but that only allows for adjustment of camber / caster and no toe, true? More so than camber, I'm worried about the rear toe. Is this what the trailing arm bushings will change a bit?