PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a copy of the poor guy...

Unregistered
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
... who bought a red BMW from a foreign guy in FL? I don't remember the story, but it was a HUGE hassle and the buyer was out some major bucks and wound up with a frame chopped car... I think it was an M-series (M3 maybe)?

I have critical need of this information ASAP.

Thanks.

Unregistered
02-12-2004, 08:12 PM
Okay, I'm an idiot.

The subject should be "Anyone have a copy of the STORY OF THE poor guy..."

Thanks in advance.

rickm
02-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Ahh...there was one involving an older M series purchased on ebay. Got the car, the paint didn't exactly match, etc.

AZ_Jason_S
02-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I would like to see that again myself just as a refresher on "cover your ass".

MarkD
02-12-2004, 10:40 PM
The story of the red M3 bought by a guy in Wasington state was on Roadflea last June or so. I'm sorry that happened to the guy, but there were about a thousand warning bells going off and he should have realised it was fishy. I don't know what he was thinking!

MarkD

Unregistered
02-12-2004, 10:49 PM
So no one has the link to the full story? I thought the guy had a webpage. I need the info on the seller... I might be striking a deal with the same guy. A lot of the actions of the seller match up from what I remember of the story.

bfd
02-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Who bought a "brand new" or nearly brand new, M5 from Ebay Germany for the bargain price of $55,000 (great deal since it retails for like $80K). The "seller" wanted the Dentist to use his escrow, which had a very, very impressive website. The Dentist agreed to use the seller's escrow company and wired the $55k....bye, bye money - ouch!

Sort of happy news - the Dentist said he learned his lesson and has now bought a brand new one from a local dealer paying the retail price of $80K (its good tobe a Dentist) for a grand total of $135K for a 2003 M5.....

AZ_Jason_S
02-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I FOUND IT!!!! Did a quick search on yahoo and located it pretty quick...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/forum.php?postid=3378984

Unregistered
02-13-2004, 01:15 AM
I FOUND IT!!!! Did a quick search on yahoo and located it pretty quick...

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/forum.php?postid=3378984

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I can't believe Google didn't turn it up. I guess I wasn't using the right keywords.

It looks like a totally different person than who I'm dealing with, in a different area, with a different name. I think I'm okay. Whew.

The power of the Internet. Amazing.

AZ_Jason_S
02-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Learn from his experience none-the-less

Gary M
02-13-2004, 11:31 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I can't believe Google didn't turn it up. I guess I wasn't using the right keywords.

It looks like a totally different person than who I'm dealing with, in a different area, with a different name. I think I'm okay. Whew.

The power of the Internet. Amazing.

rickm
02-13-2004, 12:03 PM
But he was a MONTOYA! :P

Never fall in love with anything until it's yours either.

I wonder what the outcome was?

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e21/3379064-1.html is what happens next.

AZ_Jason_S
02-13-2004, 12:03 PM
Let me tell you about the car I almost bought on ebay. It was a Porsche 912. It was in San Diego, I live in Phoenix thats a cheap flight and reasonable drive. So I talked to the guy on the phone, he tells me he is selling the car to but a Boxster, so cool he's a Porsche guy. He also tells me he's put about 20,000 on it in 3 years. Also cool, its been driven so its probably dependable. The night before my flight, he calls to tell me,"I just realized the odometer doesn't say 30,000 (aka 130,000) it says 300,000. I say well no biggie, I wasn't that concerned about mileage as long as the car was clean and straight. I have a new engine waiting to be built. I get there, and he picks me up in it and takes me to a fast food joint to close the deal. Now he tells me he is selling the car to buy a van for his business. RED FLAG Caught in lie #1. Next, I see a temporary tag, look at the plates, the car was not registered in like 3 years? How could he have put 20,000 on the car in the last 3 years on expired tags in CA? RED FLAG #2. So now I'm like let me see the title. ITS NOT EVEN IN HIS NAME! It was signed over to someone else like 3 years ago and never transferred to him. In AZ this title is toilet paper. You gotta have a paper trail to you. So, I'm lookin' at this car, F'd up title, seller caught in lies, and I am doubting the car will make the AZ border. I told him there was no way I could buy the car with that title. He took me to the airport, I bought a ticket home and dodged a bullet.

He relisted the car and sold it. I checked his feedback couple or weeks after the sale. The new buyer broke down somewhere and was obviously bitter. I think the seller got kicked off ebay.

Be careful buying cars sight unseen. I expected to find some surprises, but this thing was major trouble.

Robbo
02-13-2004, 12:38 PM
I remember years ago going to see a car advertised as "Immaculate" I got there and saw what might loosely be described as a car leant against a wall.

So I knocked on the door and asked the bloke if he was the guy selling an "immaculate" Opel Manta.

He says "yes" and walks towards the car.

I say "So you've got two then?"

The guy spins on his heels, goes inside and slams the door.

I guess he was upset. LOL! :D

Russell
02-13-2004, 12:40 PM
I looked at an e-bay 1992 e-34 from a used car dealer in my home town. That is rare enough. They stated the car was excellent condition. Problems were apparent from 20 feet away, paint uncared for, dents etc. Insode trim was w loose in places and drove as if every part was loose. Called the previous owner, a college kid who had no money to maintain the car. Long story short, I walked.

The lesson I learned is to never believe anything in e-bay ads for cars. Actually, never buy a car without adequate research and seeing/driving the car for a resonable time. I ended up buying a local and newer e34 with confidence.

Let me tell you about the car I almost bought on ebay. It was a Porsche 912. It was in San Diego, I live in Phoenix thats a cheap flight and reasonable drive. So I talked to the guy on the phone, he tells me he is selling the car to but a Boxster, so cool he's a Porsche guy. He also tells me he's put about 20,000 on it in 3 years. Also cool, its been driven so its probably dependable. The night before my flight, he calls to tell me,"I just realized the odometer doesn't say 30,000 (aka 130,000) it says 300,000. I say well no biggie, I wasn't that concerned about mileage as long as the car was clean and straight. I have a new engine waiting to be built. I get there, and he picks me up in it and takes me to a fast food joint to close the deal. Now he tells me he is selling the car to buy a van for his business. RED FLAG Caught in lie #1. Next, I see a temporary tag, look at the plates, the car was not registered in like 3 years? How could he have put 20,000 on the car in the last 3 years on expired tags in CA? RED FLAG #2. So now I'm like let me see the title. ITS NOT EVEN IN HIS NAME! It was signed over to someone else like 3 years ago and never transferred to him. In AZ this title is toilet paper. You gotta have a paper trail to you. So, I'm lookin' at this car, F'd up title, seller caught in lies, and I am doubting the car will make the AZ border. I told him there was no way I could buy the car with that title. He took me to the airport, I bought a ticket home and dodged a bullet.

He relisted the car and sold it. I checked his feedback couple or weeks after the sale. The new buyer broke down somewhere and was obviously bitter. I think the seller got kicked off ebay.

Be careful buying cars sight unseen. I expected to find some surprises, but this thing was major trouble.

Jason
02-13-2004, 02:50 PM
... who bought a red BMW from a foreign guy in FL? I don't remember the story, but it was a HUGE hassle and the buyer was out some major bucks and wound up with a frame chopped car... I think it was an M-series (M3 maybe)?

I have critical need of this information ASAP.

Thanks.