PDA

View Full Version : Chip replacement gone wrong, warning to newbies

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Well, supposivly the chip is to pull out with a little force....Wrong! It's soderd in there. I found out after trying to get my chip out and it shattered. Now I'm here with the prongs still in it and can't put my new chip in. I'm pissed! :(

netmgr
11-24-2004, 05:48 PM
well uve buggered that up unless ur a wizz with the soldering iorn...id buy yourself a new ecu

prob best second hand unless u have a few hundred dollars lying around

netmgr
11-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Well, supposivly the chip is to pull out with a little force....Wrong! It's soderd in there. I found out after trying to get my chip out and it shattered. Now I'm here with the prongs still in it and can't put my new chip in. I'm pissed! :(

sorry i just had to say this I couldnt stop myself...

you prised the chip out of the board and when you felt resistence you prised on it with even more pressure till it shattered....not to mention that it should be obvious to even an untrained eye wether a chip is soldered in or in a socket.

and before you all start saying...were not all electrical engineers...i say to this...then what are you doing opening up the main computer for you car and attacking it for...

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 06:23 PM
you should be able to take it to a good television repair shop and have them get the prongs out and the new chip in for you. Probably inexpensive too, Personaly I wouldnt attempt it myself because as good as I am...they are better.

hope you didnt need to drive it right after the replacement.

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 06:33 PM
well, everywhere I read it doesn't say anything about it being soderd. Should be stated somewhere it might be soderd. It was the ECU #261 200 179. I am right now trying to get a solder sucker to get the prongs out. I don't think it will be to difficult. Nothing wrecked except the old chip. If anything I will take your advise and have it done professionally. Thanks.

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 06:50 PM
well, everywhere I read it doesn't say anything about it being soderd. Should be stated somewhere it might be soderd. It was the ECU #261 200 179. I am right now trying to get a solder sucker to get the prongs out. I don't think it will be to difficult. Nothing wrecked except the old chip. If anything I will take your advise and have it done professionally. Thanks.

Jr ///M5
11-24-2004, 07:03 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you pried out the wrong chip...there are a couple that look like the performance eprom chip on the single board design.

Let me guess, you have an older 5 series that has only a single board and not one that splits open into halves.

I'm just guessing here, but if you look closely, the performance chip you seek is underneath a black plastic cover the same size as the chip. It simply pops off, revealing the un-soldered chip underneath.

It helps when you tell us what kind of car you have.

Jr

netmgr
11-24-2004, 07:06 PM
unlikely he pulled the wrong chip, if you think about it he would have pulled the one that looked like the one he was putting in wouldnt he and theres only one of those

and anyhow the 261 200 179 board did have some soldered in ones, and also the cover isnt always black mines white...

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 07:07 PM
The chip that was in there had a silver sticker on top with #1 267 356 460. Has anyone had a soderd chip in there ecu?

Dick Schneiders
11-24-2004, 07:33 PM
against stupid stuff that previous owners can do. This, I suspect, is one of those cases.

netmgr
11-24-2004, 07:41 PM
against stupid stuff that previous owners can do. This, I suspect, is one of those cases.

if you dont know the answer Schneiders dont bother replying, making up stories about stupid owners soildering chips in...why would aprevious owner take the old chip out and desolder the holder then solder the same chip back in again...

if you had read the previous posts i stated that some versions of this ecu had the main chip soldered in as OEM

werent you the one that said 'I spent several hours,
over two days (really!!) before I finally got the boards separated in my 1991 525i.' says it all really

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 07:55 PM
I dont even know what kind of car or what year were talking about unless someone knows and is following this dudes name. When people post their problems they should say what car their referring to, then the rest of us can either research it or just know off the top of their heads and make serious replies or whatever. There are more than one chip on most boards and maybe more on the dual boards, first time I ever messed with my crap I pulled the trans controller out and the chip looked correct but didnt have the right number. That chip was soldered in, if I didnt do careful research i would be in this dudes shoes right now.

Point is, netmgr is getting on dick cause dick made a comment not acceptable to netmgr...netmgr jumped right in in the first or second post slamming 1000 eyes....so... get a grip, have a beer, relax. no rules here so behave yourselves. I sound like im refereeing my kid and mother now...that sucks more.

1000, what car, any pics of the boards available?

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
Here's what it looks like. There was no black or white cover and no holder for it to plug into. I'm confused now :(

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 08:00 PM
1989 535i 5-speed stick

netmgr
11-24-2004, 08:08 PM
he didnt say what car no, but hey this the bmw e34 forum...im guessing he has a bmw E34...ok im guessing u mean model but that was nothing to do with my point, those being

why did he prise a chip out that obviously was soldered in and must have used a mighty force to not only brake the chip but completely dissconnect it from the board leaving the legs.

second point was bad advise saying the previous owner had taken the old chip out and soldered another in...just like that...advising someone that what they have here is a mess of someone elses making and of stupidness when in reality as stated before that some ecu's if this persons type, as he did state the number, had soldered main chips.

my point is about bad advise...i hate it when people guess...unless they say it is a guess...otherwise people reading this take it on their word

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 08:25 PM
waterpump when all he needed to do was bleed the system and me and Winfreds posts were enveloped by some newbies that didnt have a clue and the dude thought it was as good as gold advice?

I completely agree with that.

he didnt say what car no, ok im guessing u mean model but that was nothing to do with my point,
my point is about bad advise...i hate it when people guess...unless they say it is a guess...otherwise people reading this take it on their word

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 08:27 PM
1989 535i 5-speed stick

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 09:26 PM
camera doesn't work so well

Brian C.
11-24-2004, 09:48 PM
;)

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 09:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33596&item=7936087362&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

MarkD
11-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Here's what it looks like. There was no black or white cover and no holder for it to plug into. I'm confused now :(

Yes you have (had) a soldered in chip. They were in the replacement ECU's but not usually in the original ones.

It should have been obvious that there was no socket in your unit.

Did you buy one of my chips? (just wondering)

MarkD

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 10:28 PM
From the sounds of it I ruined it :(

632 Regal
11-24-2004, 11:24 PM
wait till the last 2 minutes and then bid 41 bux.
no use biddin now and driving the price up.

Make sure its the proper unit!

Looks right to me.

1000_eyez
11-24-2004, 11:42 PM
;)