PDA

View Full Version : Overfill!

Mike
02-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Ahhh! I changed the oil but added a tad too much! My oil level is now at 1/8" over the maximum - I know it probably won't kill the engine, but I'm anal retentive and want that oil out. Is there any other way get some oil out short of a drain plug?

Thanx,

mjradin
02-12-2004, 11:00 AM
wife's 1995 525ia. I just did it last weekend. I looked not at the dipstick level (which was over) but how many ounces extra were put in. I went over about 1/8" or a tad more, but it was only about 3 ounces of oil. Not much in a 6.1 quart fill. Further, that was before I turned the engine over and re-filled the oil filter reservoir, which would take the level back down. Car has been running fine (wifey would have told me of any issues).

Did you turn the motor over? How many ounces as measured from the oil quart bottle?

Feel free to call 617-832-2515

Mike
02-12-2004, 11:07 AM
I put 7.5 quarts in (8 quart fill on m60 motor). That's what I did last time and the level came out perfect. This time around, its 1/8 over...which probably means 1/8 quart over!

Mike
02-12-2004, 03:14 PM
got off my lazy ass, jacked up the car and drained the excess - how's that for a fix?

Jeff C
02-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I needed to drain/change some relatively new oil once and found a hand operated pump that would pump the oil out via a push pull sorta piston with two hoses (one hose down the dipstick hole - the other hose in the drain container) - was pretty easy to use and was pretty cheap too. Worked well.

just fyi for next time

jeff