PDA

View Full Version : exile in guiboville/or how i drove on 5 guibo bolts for 10k mi.........

ryan roopnarine
02-11-2004, 09:46 PM
FINALLY got the guibo done today, skipped class so I could go home and have unkle from kanada help me. go to take down the guibo, when he notes that one hole has no bolt in it. funny, as i was changing that stuff because of a shuddering at 40 mph. discover that all of the five other nuts down there look suspiciously like the lugnuts i got for mumsie's taurus from autozone. three of the five of the bolts snap off with nuts, suggesting that the nuts weren't made for their pressed-upon servitude. go to stealer TWICE across town because stealer nearest to me has no bolts. decide against detaching nuts from differential bolts, as we thought they had the same fate in store for them as the guibo bolts, and eschewed the center bearing replacement. question: as I ran out of time, and my center bearing looked good, we only did the guibo. I did see the centering bushing though, and as im not sure as how to describe it, the best way to say it would be un-uniformly chipped, with a high point close to what bentley specified. i just filled it full of molybdenum grease and and stuck it back on the shaft. is this something likely to fail now? also, would having driven around with no bolt on one position have caused permanent DS damage?

winfred
02-12-2004, 10:12 PM
you would see any damage, about the only thing that hurts a shaft is a good wreck, i just did a 91 535 that was squished bad that had a bent drive shaft, the modern shafts are solid with no slip joint, he wondered what was causing the magic fingers bed feeling at anything over 35 mph, i've seen some that the flex coupler was bad for so long that the bolts wore through the holes