PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of a rebuild kit for manual gearbox?

Martin in Bellevue
02-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Jeff's old gearbox is sittin' in the garage. I am dying to take the thing apart. Wouldn't steel synchronizer rings be great? Should I dig up a local machinist?

Should I just go clean something instead?

Derek A.
02-12-2004, 07:06 AM
I had my transmission done by Jim Blanton. I don' think he uses steel syncros, but they are brass. From my understanding those transmissions are not the easiest things in the world to work on. Save the tranmission as a core in case one of us (included you) grendades their current box and needs a spare.

Jeff's old gearbox is sittin' in the garage. I am dying to take the thing apart. Wouldn't steel synchronizer rings be great? Should I dig up a local machinist?

Should I just go clean something instead?

Jeff N.
02-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Yo dude. My understanding is that the case is pressed together with the shafts and the bearings. By cracking the case, you *must* more or less install new bearings. Bearings are press fit into the case, not a home job. Once the case is cracked, everything else becomes fair game - stuff like syncros, forks, shafts/gears if worn, etc.

Locally, I know Dan Patzer will rebuild trannies. Bet there are others...try the CCA Puget Sound board for ideas on people to ping... ??

Jeff

Martin in Bellevue
02-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Yo dude. My understanding is that the case is pressed together with the shafts and the bearings. By cracking the case, you *must* more or less install new bearings. Bearings are press fit into the case, not a home job. Once the case is cracked, everything else becomes fair game - stuff like syncros, forks, shafts/gears if worn, etc.

Locally, I know Dan Patzer will rebuild trannies. Bet there are others...try the CCA Puget Sound board for ideas on people to ping... ??

Jeff

632 Regal
02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
that means you already have?

:D

Martin in Bellevue
02-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Oh yeah, we can fix it.

G Feller
02-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Oh yeah, we can fix it.

Jeff N.
02-12-2004, 01:42 PM
naw...it was already loose, no?

BTW, our "package" arrived. You can go to my office and get it or wait.... :)

Jeff N.
02-12-2004, 03:26 PM
BTW - I am such a sucker!!