PDA

View Full Version : Misc ramblings and questions

billy in slo
02-11-2004, 06:04 PM
got the 1000.00 budget stereo Mon., thanks for all the advice I received, in the end I got something that sounded great, was readily avail., and fit my budget. Total install and setup w/all parts/labor and tax for 1000.00 cash. Anyway it sounds great but as I suspected I will need to add a sub. The Viper 700w 6-channel amp is wired for the sub allready so all I need is suggestions on a sub. The installer suggested a single 12" and when I look up info for building a box it DOES look like rocket science! Do the sub manufacturers give recomendations on box size etc.?
Where does one find the front license plate filler panel that fits right in the factory location and matches the bumper? I don't want the BavAuto variety (I think).
I have found that my 90 535iA has limited slip diff. Is there a demand for the stock ratio from an auto to up-grade a manual as I would like to swap to a 4.27 lsd?
I reckin' that'l do for now.
billy 90 535iA
OBTW Any body want to buy my 80 e12 m535 clone?

http://www.roadfly.org/bmw/classifieds/cars/detview.php?view=22354&sortby=&dir=

MikeV
02-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Most subs come with at least box volume recommendations. There are a number of freeware speaker box design programs out there... just do a google search.

Dunno if there's demand or not, but I recently paid $400 for a 4.11 lsd...

Scott E
02-11-2004, 06:39 PM
according to my ETK the part number for the front license plate delete is 51 11 1 978 089 and should be available from BMA

AZ_Jason_S
02-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Yeah subs can be confusing. Keep it simple and try a sealed box first. Most subs will have a recomendation for a sealed volume and chances are you can buy the box off the shelf. Example check www.edesignaudio.com they have blueprints for an optimal box and make power reccomendations accordingly. (Fore some reason I keep pimp'n these guys and I don't own one of there products) I know JL Audio has the same stuff on there site too. www.jlaudio.com

Sealed boxes also require less space. Consider cutting your ski-hole out unless yours is already open. That is the hole under the rear seat armrest. You will need to do this to get good bass into the passenger cabin. Car stereo places I have talked to said BMW's and Mercedes are the hardest cars to get bass from the trunk. Too much steel! Thats a trade off I will take.

Regarding license plate fillers, I got mine from Bav-Auto and it is the OEM factory delete filler. Snaps into the bumper where the front plate was. I am sure BMA has it for cheaper...