PDA

View Full Version : V8 Nikasil bore problems

GJPinAU
02-11-2004, 05:34 PM
I was browsing through a copy of BMWcar (UK mag), the December issue has a tail piece on buying E34's. It mentioned with the V8s that the bore wear problems are well documented. Any of the more informed guys out there know of this? Has this been discussed previously?

G Feller
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
But everyone should be aware, and you won't find a better synopsis than this.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=741

Supposedly if you are in the UK (are you?), you might not have the same issue, but it is well known that these troubles were not limited to the U.S. If you have always fed your car premium gas, you will hopefully be OK.

I was browsing through a copy of BMWcar (UK mag), the December issue has a tail piece on buying E34's. It mentioned with the V8s that the bore wear problems are well documented. Any of the more informed guys out there know of this? Has this been discussed previously?

GJPinAU
02-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Thanks for that, being new here and new to the V8 it was a bit of a scare. cheers

G Feller
02-11-2004, 05:49 PM
You might dig around a bit to see if there has been any sign of such troubles in your neck of the woods (as we sometimes say here in the U.S.).

At this point there's not much you can do about it anyway other than being aware and feeding her premium.

Happy motoring!

DueyT
02-11-2004, 06:59 PM
GJP, out of interest, do you know the build date of your car? I didn't know that the M60B40 was put into any export (from Germany) car before MY '94.

If you would like to sleep easier at night, you can have a leakdown check performed on your engine. In Canada/U.S. this usually costs about $75-$100...Oz dollars probably similar. BMWNA would conduct leakdown checks on M60 3.0L and 4.0L engines only after a progressive series of other simpler tests indicated potential problems with the motor.

There is now doubt that BMW's name was built on its family of fine 6-cylinder power plants. They are some of the finest pieces of machinery going, bar none. Being a V-8 loving guy, especially listening to the beast wind up to 6800 rpm, I just can't get enough of driving my 540i/6 whereever I can go!

Enjoy your beasty!

Cheers,
Duey

GJPinAU
02-11-2004, 11:32 PM
The build date is 07/93.

I've been told the problem was only in the U.S. and not relevant here.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my E28 M535 (great car!)because I blew-out my knee mountain bike riding - can't drive a manual but I can still ride my bike. Damn, now I have to drive an auto. Would've loved a manual V8.

P.S. the report you did about the V8 bore problem was brilliant.
cheers

Aaron Bakos
02-11-2004, 11:55 PM
The build date is 07/93.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem was a result of high sulfur content in U.S. fuel. There was just an article in Bimmer or Roundel about it...apparently the U.S. fuel requirements changed in 97' to drop the sulfur content to bring it closer to European fuel. I doubt that was the reason, but it was the result.

I was under the impression that it was a U.S. problem...guess I'm lucky that I wound up with the M50, I found out about the V8 problems after I bought the car :)

Also, I just read Duey's post...could have saved some typing if I saw that earlier. Well done!

Bill R.
02-12-2004, 12:18 AM
US, Its just not nearly as common as here. It was definitely a sulfur problem which you've already discovered.. It affected the v8's and the 3.0 six which we didn't get in the US. That six also had a nikasil block.

The build date is 07/93.

Unfortunately, I had to sell my E28 M535 (great car!)because I blew-out my knee mountain bike riding - can't drive a manual but I can still ride my bike. Damn, now I have to drive an auto. Would've loved a manual V8.

P.S. the report you did about the V8 bore problem was brilliant.
cheers

DueyT
02-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the kudos gents, I just wanted to confirm in my own mind that I wasn't buying a hopeless chunk of aluminum so I dug into the issue and did some research on metalurgy and engines. I don't think BMW has ever released figures on the incidence rate of the Nikasil problem, but it would be interesting to look at where the failures occured and see what the fuel quality was like in those locales.

GJP, as BillR noted it wasn't just the USA; the problem was also seen in Northern UK and other areas in Europe where sulphur levels were high (although significantly more rare in Europe). In North America, it is not uncommon to still find refineries putting out gasoline with 350-550+ PPM of sulphur! :( ULSG and ULSD will arrive by 2006 but there's nothing twisting the Petro companies right now to reduce sulphur. I understand that the cleanest refinery in North America is in New Brunswick, Canada. The IRVING Company refines gas and diesel down to 15-35ppm sulphur...this approaches some of the strictest levels seen, mostly in Scandanavian countries currently.

Cheers,
Duey

Paul in NZ
02-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Although not a V8 owner I am aware of the NIkasil issue.I am puzzled tho cos I had K100 rs BMW motorcycle (flat four shaft drive liquid colled fuel injected 1000cc)They also had nikasil coated bores.Did they have issues in the US?I know that every time i visited the dealer they would take it out the back and replace something! ;)

David Chen
02-12-2004, 11:16 AM
The closest place for me to find a copy is a 120 mile round trip away.

Cheers,

David

DueyT
02-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Although not a V8 owner I am aware of the NIkasil issue.I am puzzled tho cos I had K100 rs BMW motorcycle (flat four shaft drive liquid colled fuel injected 1000cc)They also had nikasil coated bores.Did they have issues in the US?I know that every time i visited the dealer they would take it out the back and replace something! ;)
Paul, this is a strange one. From my research, it seems that the nickel/silicon content of the affected V-8s and 6's was very similar to that used both in the R-series and K-series of BMW bikes (K100rs...nice bike, BTW!) I can only think that using premium in a bike vice mid-grade in the cars may have made a difference?

Duey

Unregistered
02-12-2004, 03:16 PM
Although we do collect information from refiners regarding the sulfur content of gasoline for purposes of determining compliance with EPA's regulations, this information is considered to be confidential business information. As a result, we are unable to make this information available to the public. However, even if this information could be made available, it is unlikely to be of much help in determining which gasoline has the lowest sulfur content at the pump in a given area at a given time. This is because refiners comply with EPA's standards on an annual average basis and on a refinery by refinery basis. For example, where a company owns several refineries, the annual average sulfur level can vary from refinery to refinery as long as each refinery meets the applicable standard on average for the year. The sulfur level may also vary from batch to batch within the same refinery as long as the refinery meets the applicable standard on average for the year. In addition, gasoline may be fungibly mixed with other gasoline in a pipeline on its way from the refinery to the retail gasoline station. The compliance data submitted by refiners does not include the ultimate destination of the gasoline. As a result, it would be difficult to determine from our compliance data which retail gasoline station in your area has the lowest sulfur.

However, as I mentioned in my prior email, EPA has a new gasoline sulfur program, starting in 2004, which is designed to significantly reduce the average sulfur level in gasoline nationwide. If you would like more information about our sulfur program, please visit our web site: www.epa.gov/otaq.

Regards,

GJPinAU
02-12-2004, 05:39 PM
OK, So how come diesel costs (usually) more than standard unleaded fuel when it is supposed to be the by-product of what is left after refining every other bit off of the crude oil?

632 Regal
02-12-2004, 06:01 PM
eeek

632 Regal
02-12-2004, 06:13 PM
so basicly that says that it's a luck of the draw anytime anyplace. I always try to avoid the cheapie places but I guess it doesnt really matter. Ohh well I figure if the ol Nikasil has lasted this long it will just keep on keeping on. Cheapiemart is also on the way to work, why pay 10-20¢ more a gallon right?

DueyT
02-12-2004, 11:03 PM
It can be a bit of a crap shoot, Jeff.

Just for fun here's some info about sulphur levels in various gasolines available in Ontario, Canada last year...some pretty interesting variations...

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envision/air/sig/2003.htm

Cheers,
Duey

632 Regal
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
so I'd assume better to guard against further Nikisil errosion.

Thanks Duey!~

GJPinAU
02-13-2004, 12:18 AM
The closest place for me to find a copy is a 120 mile round trip away.

Cheers,

David

DueyT
02-13-2004, 12:43 PM
so I'd assume better to guard against further Nikisil errosion.

Thanks Duey!~
I think so, Jeff...luckily I fill with Ultramar, which seems to rank fairly well. That, and they give a 12 cent/gal discount every Thursday (i.e. fill-up day). :)