PDA

View Full Version : Suspension torque spec?

Kalevera
11-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Hi everybody.

I haven't yet gotten my e34 bible (Bentley) in the mail and I need to torque up my new suspension.

Can anyone give me the specs on the ball joint sides of the lower control arms, thrust arms, shock nuts (including the mounts), and all of the steering links? I got the loading requirements and specs on the arms off of Bruno's site, but I'm still in the dark on the other points.

thanks...thanks very much.

Lowell

Kalevera
11-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Oh yeah - and another question.

When you tighten the control and thrust arms under load, do you tighten the BALL JOINT (seems kind of hard to do with the strut there) or the frame bolts (also seems hard to do given that you can't get an impact wrench in there, especially with the exhaust shielding on the pass side. Seems kind of ambiguous on Bruno's site...

lowell.

632 Regal
11-08-2004, 08:57 PM
you only tighten the thrust & control arms under load.

thrust/control arm ball joint is 67 lbs.

not sure on the thrust/control frame mount, think its 95 lbs (guessin)

MBXB
11-09-2004, 02:59 AM
From Bently:

Control Arm Ball Joint to steering arm: 68 ft-lb
Strut Housing to Steering Arm: 81 ft lb
Control Arm to Crossmember: 57 ft-lb
Thurst Arm Ball Joint to Steering Arm: 68 ft-lb
Thrust Arm to connecting crossmember (PRELOADED): 94 ft-lb

Just happened to have the Bently around.
Also check out www.webshots.com and look at st100ray's album. He's got a couple of good shots on how to do the job. Actually there's a lot who've posted pics on this.

Kalevera
11-09-2004, 11:23 PM
From Bently:

Control Arm Ball Joint to steering arm: 68 ft-lb
Strut Housing to Steering Arm: 81 ft lb
Control Arm to Crossmember: 57 ft-lb
Thurst Arm Ball Joint to Steering Arm: 68 ft-lb
Thrust Arm to connecting crossmember (PRELOADED): 94 ft-lb

Just happened to have the Bently around.
Also check out www.webshots.com and look at st100ray's album. He's got a couple of good shots on how to do the job. Actually there's a lot who've posted pics on this.

Don't you have to do the Control Arm to subframe under load as well? Just tring to make sure I get it all done right the first time...

MBXB
11-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Upper control arms, also called thrust arms

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/upper_arm.htm

Bill R.
11-10-2004, 12:26 AM
have to be torqued under load at the subframe end of them.. the balljoint end doesn't matter if its loaded or not...

Don't you have to do the Control Arm to subframe under load as well? Just tring to make sure I get it all done right the first time...