PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy E36 325is need help

3dreamer
11-07-2004, 02:03 AM
I'm sort of new to the BMW crowd, my dad had an 70 somthing (aarrg can't remember exactly) 2002 that was his baby. Anyway I will be in the market for a 325is in a few months and was wondering if anyone could tell me some things I should look for in a E36 325is. I'm used to looking at my 86 RX-7 right now lol, so any info/help would be great.

winfred
11-07-2004, 12:34 PM
95 and older cars are a little easyer to live with in terms of electronics, 93 was the first year of variable valve timing on the intake cam(vanos)of the 6 cylinder , they make the same power as the non vanos motors but have a little smoother power band, i kinda like the on the cam feel of the early motor, i am not a big fan of the 318 but they are not a bad motor/car

94is
11-07-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't think I should really go into how much I love the 325is, so I will tell you what fails and what problems you should look for (I may miss some so Bruno help me out). The age that these cars is at is just about the time when suspension really starts to go. Control arms, rtabs (rear-trailing arm bushings) and rsm's (rear shock-tower mounts) will most likely need replacing. Depending on how the car has been driven, the shocks/struts may also need replacing.
You should also check to see if they car you are looking at has had its water pump, thermostat, radiator and other related pieces replaced since at around 70k these tend to fail and can blow hoses leaving you stranded. It is much cheaper to replace it before it goes bad. I think a company actually sells a kit since it is such a common problem (the name escapes me now tho).
You should also try to avoid an automatic. The transmission that BMW used was made by GM and they will fail so fast if you drive aggresively. Mine died at only 100k. Just keep your eyes open for a 94-95 5spd. Good luck. :D

Bruno
12-05-2004, 08:21 PM
I don't think I should really go into how much I love the 325is, so I will tell you what fails and what problems you should look for (I may miss some so Bruno help me out). The age that these cars is at is just about the time when suspension really starts to go. Control arms, rtabs (rear-trailing arm bushings) and rsm's (rear shock-tower mounts) will most likely need replacing. Depending on how the car has been driven, the shocks/struts may also need replacing.
You should also check to see if they car you are looking at has had its water pump, thermostat, radiator and other related pieces replaced since at around 70k these tend to fail and can blow hoses leaving you stranded. It is much cheaper to replace it before it goes bad. I think a company actually sells a kit since it is such a common problem (the name escapes me now tho).
You should also try to avoid an automatic. The transmission that BMW used was made by GM and they will fail so fast if you drive aggresively. Mine died at only 100k. Just keep your eyes open for a 94-95 5spd. Good luck. :D

Subframe bushing tearing out the chassis.
Many parts have to be reinforced on the chassis when auto crossing or tracking the car.

Amazing car, tons of parts avaialbe.

paul p (chi-town)
12-06-2004, 02:48 AM
The cooling system stuff is pretty simple. A long evening in the garage. The hardest thing is the fan clutch, but i’ve managed on both bimmers w/ an adjustable monkey and a hammer. YMMV
I had an 86 Rex once, another fun car. Too bad it kept blowin out the 5speed. *rolleyes*

I fear the trailing arm bushings...........
What kinda DIY is that?

http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/anisig.gif (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage2.html)
530iT&A ‘Helga’---92 325i ‘Rolf’ …............”Hang up & Drive!”.......no, SERiously. (http://homepage.interaccess.com/~motria/pablosgarage2.html)
”Bet that phone call doesn’t seem that important now does it, huh." Nov 20, 2004