PDA

View Full Version : replaceing radiator in 94 525

dmoore1200
10-31-2004, 04:22 PM
I went to replace the radiator because of a leak on my 94 525 today.

I got ready to do it, and at the bottom it looks like oil cooler hoses or transmission hoses. What the heck is this at the very bottom center. The radiator I bought to replace it with doesnt have a place for that????

Do I have the wrong rad?? I triple checked the part number. Or is it something that I remove from the old rad and transfer to teh new?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

Bimmer Nut Ed
11-01-2004, 12:39 AM
I can't provide much info other than the radiators I've replaced looked exactly like the ones I've removed.

You may want to specify to us whether you have an automatic transmission Bimmer or not. My bimmers are manuals and do not have transmission coolers, so perhaps again I can not help because yours sounds like it has an automatic transmission oil cooler.

winfred
11-01-2004, 12:55 AM
that is the tranny cooler but it's not part of the radiator on that car, it's bolted to the front of the radiator with 8mm bolts, with a light touch you can remove it from the radiator without disconnecting the lines and loosing tranny fluid leaving it in the car, before you install the new radiator make sure it has the same mounting holes for the trans cooler, if not drill them, they don't allways come drilled. if you want to save yourself a possible pain in the ass on bleeding the cooling system replace the thermostat and drill about a 1/8" hole in it where the arrow points up, this will burp the air out of the block when you refill the system, you can drill the old one if you don't want to buy a new one

I went to replace the radiator because of a leak on my 94 525 today.

I got ready to do it, and at the bottom it looks like oil cooler hoses or transmission hoses. What the heck is this at the very bottom center. The radiator I bought to replace it with doesnt have a place for that????

Do I have the wrong rad?? I triple checked the part number. Or is it something that I remove from the old rad and transfer to teh new?

Thanks for any help!

Dave